Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Jammu and Kashmir Rifles & Other Indian Imperial Service Units

Helen Bachaus

Hi Folks,

A question on the above unit and any other Indian Imperial Service units serving in East Africa. The above unit was equipped with .303 Martini-Metfords in the early part of the East Africa campaign. I imagine they brought these across with them initially as with other Princely State units. Does anyone know if and when they would have had their rifle replaced with a modern version of the .303 enfield and/or if at all?

Were there any other Regular Indian (Britsih Commanded) units so equipped with this rifle?

Was there a shortage of .303 enfields?

Reading from the book "Indian Army in East Africa" by SD Pradhan the author has indicated that there were two types of rifles used by the Indian soldier in Africa - MLE (Martini Le Enfield) Mark I and SMLE (Short Magazine Le Enfield).

Force 'C' was armed with MLE rifles as oppose to Force 'B' given SMLE rifles.

There was a Brigade of Imperial Service Troops assigned for Tanga under Major-General Tighe of which only one unit of the Imperial Service Brigade was an Indian Regular unit the remainder the former. I'd be of the understanding that given that the Imperial Service Troops were supplied by the Indian States that in the majority that would not have been so fortunate as to having the latter rifle.

Your comments would greatly be appreciated.

Best Wishes

Helen

Note: I've just recently notated this thread with additional reading from the above book.

Helen

Here's a quote from page 100 of "Jammu and Kashmir Arms" by Major-General D.K. Palit:

". . . In addition, 1 JAK Infantry, 1 JAK Mountain Battery and the rest of 3 JAK were placed at the disposal of the British by the Maharajah for future deployment. All the overseas forces were armed with Lee-Enfield short rifles by the Government of India. In preparation for their service abroad, 2 JAK and 3 JAK moved to Ferozepore for special training and equipping by the Special Service Officers attached to the units. The strength was brought up to 1,070 each."

Indian Expeditionary Force "C", which contained these Imperial Service units: half-battalions from Bhurtpore, Jind, Kapurthala and Rampur, mobilised quickly and landed in BEA in September.

Indian Expeditionary Force "B" (which contained 1 and 3 JAK Infantry and a half-battalion of Gwalior Rifles as Imperial Service Troops) did not sail for Tanga from India until November.

Even so preparations were inadequate, as the Regular southern Indian units were re-equipped with short Lee Enfields (see OH page 69) just before departure and they landed with unfamiliar weapons in their hands.

The British accepted the responsibility of re-arming all the original Imperial Service units with the standard short Lee Enfield. However I do not know if subsequent drafts of replacement troops from the Princely States also passed through Ferozepore or a similar depot and were similarly re-armed.

Harry

Hi Harry, Many thanks for your reply. I appreciate your time on this question and I'm now looking at page 69 humbly :-)

Cheers and Best Wishes

Helen

Hi Harry, et al

I'm sorry, but I think I've confused myself with the rifle they were equipped prior to entering GEA. It seems they had the Martini-Metford as oppose to the 1895 long Lee-Enfield.

Can anyone comment on this please.

Best Wishes

Helen