Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Monchy Le Preux

harkerr@btinternet.com

Hi All

Would anybody have a trench map for Monchy Le Preux around 11th to 15th April 1917.

Am researching a Gt Uncle who I believe was wounded there and DOW on 18/4/17 whilst serving with 10th West Yorks.

Or if not can anyone point me in right direction to obtain one?

Many Thanks

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Richard

I could be corrected by someone with access to more trench maps than I but all the ones I have seen around Monchy date either before the 1st Battle of the Scarpe and show no trenches, only strong points around the town; or well after when the lines became static and British trenches were established well east of the town. One map dated Feb 1917 is clearly used by a unit to plan an attack on Infantry Hill in April; it has no trenches marked on it except for pre-9th April to the west.

In planning for the April offensive they probably thought that a map showing the 3 lines at Beaurains, Telegraph Hill and the Wancourt-Feuchy were enough and did not look in detail further east. The German withdrawal from Beaurains brought Monchy into line as an objective but there may not have been enough time to get maps created.

Jim

Richard

Can you wait until tomorrow, then I will post two parts of a map.

John

Hi Jim

Thanks for your comments, what you are saying makes sense to me. The maps can only be a snapshot at any one time and could not be redrawn every day or week as things changed. No doubt the problem is worse (for us) the faster things moved on the ground.

Hi John

No hurry, but will be pleased to see what you have.

Thanks to you both for replying.

Cheers

Richard

Richard

Although this map is dated 2nd July 1917 it has trenches marked.

John

post-1365-1201283165.jpg

Hi John & Max

Thanks for your posts.

The action of the 10th West Yorks occured just to the NE of Monchy Wood (at top left of John's map).

Very interesting to read the old thread you directed me to Max, what is happening at either side of your own area of interest obviously gives a good impression of what was happening at the time.

Thanks again

Richard