Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl 1015 H Brown RAMC

Ken Lees

Cpl 1015 H Brown, 2nd West Lancs, RAMC was attached to the 9th Bn. King's Liverpool Regt when he was awarded the MM (Gazetted 27/10/16). I assume that this was a 'Somme' award.

I have not yet visited the NA, so with a common surname like his, how straightfoward would it be to obtain information about him? Which records should I look in if/when I get the opportunity of a day at the NA?

I understand that his personal file may not have survived, but what other records could I search and what might I find in them? Any advice would be appreciated.

Whilst on the subject of this man, can any tell me what his duties would have been and how many RAMC men would have been attached to each battalion. I am trying to build up a picture of his service and how it fitted with the 9th King's. Any suggestions for reading material on this subject?

Regards,

Ken

Hi,

If his service record is in neither wo 363 or wo 364 (nor in the mis-sorts) then the next best thing would be his medal index card. Search for him by surname / firstname, then by both initials and then by first initial. Others may disaree, but from experience this order has given me the quickest search time in the past.

You may need to verify him by number / unit. One of my great grandfather was named Thomas Daniel Willis - it was only possible to identify which MIC was his based upon his unit as his middle name wasn't shown. You may also wish to consult his MM index card, which is indexed against the LG. War diaries for the battalion during the period for which his MM was awarded may also be worth a viewing.

The medal rolls confirm the battalion first served with for infantry regiments but I'm not sure about RAMC - Corps medal rolls give less detail than for infantry regiments I believe.

Hope this helps,

Alex.

I found Cpl 1015 H Brown on the recently available on-line MICs. He has been transcribed as Cpl 1045 Harold Brown but I'm happy that he is the right man.

I believe he was attached to the 9th Bn., King's Liverpool Regiment from before they embarked for France. This is based upon the fact that he was with them when his MM was won (Gazetted Oct 1916) and that his date of entry to France was the same (13/03/15) as the Bn.

So, I have his MIC & MM cards, now to find out if his service papers have survived.

If any of the PRO regulars would be prepared to look for his papers for me I would be happy to make the appropriate donation.

Regards,

Ken

Ken,

I notice on the image of his card you posted elsewhere he was awarded the SWB - consulting the appropriate SWB roll should give date of enlistment, age at discharge, date of discharge (although that's already known) and reason for discharge - that assumes RAMC SWB rolls are like those of other corps.

There are at least 6 rolls of microfiche that might contain his service records.

Jock

P.S. I'm going to struggle to get to Kew in the near future, otherwise I would sign up to checking the SWB for you.

At The Long, Long Trail, in the area "Army Terms and Definitions" are useful breakdowns of the composition of units, so you can see where RAMC men were deployed.

Thanks Jock & Bruce,

I'll put Brown at the top of my list for my first visit to the NA, hopefully sometime in the spring.

Regards,

Ken