Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant AK McFarlane

Black Watch

This man appears on the Carnoustie War Memorial, but I can find no trace of him in CWGC or NA. Any ideas?

Neil

Neil

This could be your man

CWGC show

McFARLAN, ARTHUR KEITH

Initials: A K

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 11th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/05/1916

Additional information: Son of Archibald and Eleanor McFarlan, of Castletown, Isle of Man.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. M. 26.

Cemetery: ECOIVRES MILITARY CEMETERY, MONT-ST. ELOI

ODGW show KIA

All the best

Wull

2L/T Mcfarlan was in charge of an assault party near Souchez in May 1916 and to quote the History of the Lancashire Fusiliers " But on the right Mcfarlans party got too close to the mine which made "Z" crater and all except three men were buried owing to the trench falling in from the shock of the explosion, he himself being killed." Ralph.

Great stuff, thanks both. I tried a few spellings but didn't try that one.

Neil

• 2 years later...

You may find the picture below of interest......

I'm not sure if you have the info already but his brother Archibald was killed serving in the RAF. I can post a picture of him too if you'd like?

post-12711-1269684299.jpg

Hi Neil,

Read your post with interest as my Great Grandfather was KIA in this action. He was Pte 9232 Hugh Kenworthy (11th Bttn LF). I have a casualty list which was with the Battalion War Diary at the NA, it contains a list of all the men KIA in that action around those few days and unusually contains the names of the other ranks as well as officers. I can send you a digital copy if you're interested? What is your connection with McFarlan?

Cheers

Glyn

Great stuff, thanks both. I tried a few spellings but didn't try that one.

Neil

Here's how his death was reported in the November 1916 edition of "The Barovian", the alumni quarterly magazine for King William's College where he was educated. A near identical report was made in the 27th May 1916 edition of the Isle of Man Weekly Times.

A very similar studio shot to the one above appeared in both the "Barovian" and the 1917 Isle of Man Examiner Yearbook.

post-12711-1269808115.jpg