Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlesex regular 1914, A professional and his tools

Dan Morton

And this is the second work in progress figure. This is based on some superb photos sent me by a re-enactor group, The Old Contemptibles. I wish to thank both TOC and my friend, Roger Newsome, who introduced me to them.

TOC sent me several photos - views from every side actually! I'll just show you one of them and then the photos of the figure.

I've used a rifle from D. J. Parkin, removing the bolt and drilling the chamber and "business end" and inserting dental floss that looks like the cleaning cloth or whatever it is. Everything else you can blame on me.

Critique and comment welcome!

All the best,

Dan

post-4473-1200250347.jpg

post-4473-1200250404.jpg

post-4473-1200250413.jpg

post-4473-1200250466.jpg

post-4473-1200250474.jpg

Dan

Damned 'picky' I know - and in a spirit of enquiry - are the studs on both excellent models a little oversize? Were there different sizes? I show my ignorance but were studs used as well as 'hobnails'? I have a brass placque of Sir John French mounted on a black backplate with what I am told by an expert are 'hobnails - small rectangular heads tapered to a flat point rojecting about 3/16ths"from the sole.

Regards

David

Just a thought on colours: the re-enactor has black boots. I think this has been discussed before, but did GW Tommies have brown boots? Might be worth checking before you paint the figure. (I may well be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time!). And I see Dave's point about the hobnails - they do look a bit like footie boots as they stand.

Looks pretty damned good otherwise.

Dan,

Another fine figure emerging.

Well done.

Susan.

David, Steven and Susan - Many thanks for your kind comments! The boots have round head nails (?) Whether those are properly called hobnails or studs, I don't know. The photos of the re-enactor that I'm using - I have a couple showing the bottom of the boot. All of the nails or whatever look round, not square. I can e-mail copies of the photos, if you'd like. The boots - "blackened" ammunition boots are, I think, correct. On the Western Front, I've not seen photos of British infantrymen shod (Is that the word?) in anything else. If I've misunderstood or have still got this wrong, please explain by sending me a PM. Always happy to receive advice and historical accuracy info.

Andrew Upton also took me to task for the way the hat fits. He says it should fit higher up the head more above the ears. That's fixible and I'll get to that as soon as possible. The main correction on this figure is to add a bit more length to the upright leg between knee and thigh - even them up so to speak.

All the best,

Dan

Dan

Thanks for reply - I wouldn't really criticise studs - but the do 'look' a little oversizeto this poor pilgrim. But as always a splendid animation

Regards

David

David - Part of it is the angle and nearness to the camera lense of the photo, but they are a bit big and I'll reduce 'em!

All the best,

Dan

A small comment - the pullthrough, ie the cord used to pull the cleaning cloth through the barrel, would have a loop at the chamber end, into which the piece of flannelette, 4x2 inches, and known always as fourbytwo, would be tucked. The muzzle end would have a narrow brass weight, perhaps 1.5 inches long? Others will correct my memory.

Daggers

Even in 1/16th scale (which is fairly large in the miniature soldiers scheme of things) showing that kind of detail is tricky, but thanks and I'll give it a go.

All the best,

Dan