Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Prince 10345 15th Bn Lancashire Fusil

Hello

New to this forum, so please don't shout if I make any boo boos! I am currently tracing my family tree and have found my great grandfather on the CWGC site.

His name was John Prince, of Gravel Lane, Salford, Manchester, husband of Ann Edwards, father of my gran, Alice Prince. John served with the 15th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers, and was killed on 01.07.1916. He is remembered with honour at the Thiepval Memorial. My main query is, how do I find any information regarding his time during the war. Is he likely to be mentioned in any war diaries? Not far from where I live, there is a Regimental Museum (Bury). Does anybody know what I am likely to find there? :unsure: All help appreciated. Thank you in advance. Carol

Carol.

Could this be him?

(from "The National Roll of the Great War", Salford volume)

Dave.

(PS, welcome to the forum! :) )

post-1-1075321311.jpg

Thank you Dave. Yes, this is him, was stating his address from memory (obviously not a very good one!!) and his address WAS Ravald Street, not Gravel Lane. Thank you for this. Somebody had actually told me about this entry, but until now, I didn't have a copy (just printed it off comp now!!). Once again, thank you for your quick response.

Best wishes

Carol.

Above your post, at teh head of this section of the forum, it says this, in bold type.

BE SURE TO READ THIS: if you are about to ask questions about how to find a soldier's service record, make sure you have first visited "Grandad's War" at The Long, Long Trail website. There's a link to it at top-left of this page. Be sure to read at least "The Basics", "Service Papers" and "Grandad's Medals". Then, if your questions remain unanswered, come back here.

That's how you'll find out how to research John Prince!

Carol

In answer to your query about the Fusiliers museum in Bury, I believe that they hold several War Diaries and also have the Regimental History for 1914-18 (amongst others). You're unlikely to find your Gt.Grandad actually named in either of them (unless he did something really special), but you'll be able to see in decent detail what he and his unit got up to.

I was at the museum on Monday and was talking about a recent book about the war dead from Nelson in Lancs that shows photos and has "mini-biographies" of all those listed on Nelson's war memorials. I don't know whether it was just a boast or whether there is some substance in it, but the guy there said that they have all the same information for all the Lancs Fusiliers dead there at the museum! (Personally, I don't believe him. Maybe now is the time to test his boast? <_< )

Dave.

Hi Carol,

I have a copy of 'Salford Pals' which a history of the 15th, 16th, 19th and 20th Battalions of the Lancashire Fusiliers. Am at work but will have a look to see if he is mentioned when I get home.

Regards

Tim

Carol,

He is in the nominal roll of the 15th Battalion. He was in VII Platoon, B Company.

His platoon commander was Lt. G.Y.Yeald

Company Commander Major R.A.Thomas. Major Thomas died 03/07/1916.

Name: THOMAS, ROBERT ALFRED

Initials: R A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/06/1916

Additional information: Native of Shepherd's Bush, London.