Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seaforth cobbler 1916

Dan Morton

These are some work in progress photos of one of the next two figures. The figure is based on the 1916 Seaforth cobbler in the photo. The cobbler is an excerpt of a larger group of about 7 cobblers repairing boots. I'm not exactly trying to recreate the photo so much as using it for inspiration. The complete figure will have a small set of cobbler's tools, a large tool bag like the one in the photo, some boots, and the usual field gear and rifle. The figure itself now has one foot up in the air but I'll fix that later. Comments and critique welcome!

post-4473-1200249404.jpg

post-4473-1200249412.jpg

All the best,

Dan

post-4473-1200249748.jpg

post-4473-1200249757.gif

post-4473-1200249773.jpg

post-4473-1200249822.jpg

post-4473-1200249841.jpg

post-4473-1200249849.jpg

post-4473-1200249912.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Dan,

The work so far looks very good. It looks like the boot is on a last, in the photograph. You've probably already noticed that.

Aye

Tom McC

Yes, I have. In fact not only on a shoe or boot last, but (a little guesswork is involved here) probably on a metal rod which is fitted into a flat metal footboard or plate. The other side of the rod (nearer the cobbler's knees) is fitted into the last. The cobbler rests one foot on the plate, holds the rod between his knees and, with the last in the boot, has a fairly firm working surface.

This weekend I finished all the cobbler's tools. I had to guess at some of the sizes but they should be close. The tools come from two web sites of museums, both showing different sets of typical cobbler's tools. Some are pretty obvious but some are fairly strange. Full points for somebody who can explain all their uses. I think I can, but would prefer somebody who KNOWS with certainty.

So - this will be a 1/16th scale kit eventually, cast in resin, offered with all the tools you see and two heads - one a Seaforth Highlander with bonnet and cap badge - allowing the painter to do a Mackenzie (right?) tartan and a second head, with one of the flat fold caps (probably - haven't decided yet) and a Black Watch cap badge - and of course the painter will be able to do the lovely black and green Government tartan on that kilt. (Yes, I know I'm differing from the photo, but, hey, I'm the one makin' it and I wanted to sculpt a kilt!) :)

All the best,

Dan

post-4473-1202169905.jpg

First let me add my congratulations on the models you have shown us. Great stuff.

I don't know if this is relevant but there was a kneeplate for a cobbler's last when he was working away from his bench. It was cast iron, same as the lasts, with a socket in the centre of a double curve which sat on top of the knees. The cobbler needs to sit low enough to get both feet flat on the ground but not too low, his upper legs should be parallel to the ground.