Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Records

owilki1984

Hi All,

I have a really basic question - Do women who served in the military branches during WWI have service records in the National Archive, KEW, just like the men.

I have done a little work on women in the Great War and I know that despite the formulation of womens branches in the military women didnt actually get full military status - they were civilians in uniform. But did they have a military service record.

Sorry if this sounds like a school boy question but I just dont know the answer. :huh:

Cheers everyone

Oli

Oli

All women serving with the British military forces had a service record of some sort - not all of them survive for a variety of reasons, not necessarily due to damage caused by the Blitz. A quick run-down:

Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps and Queen Mary’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC and QMAAC)

The National Archives, WO398. All surviving records available to search and download via Documents Online, but only about 10% of total remain.

Women’s Royal Naval Service (WRNS)

Records at TNA

Officers: ADM 318

Ratings: ADM 336

Both series now indexed and available to download via Documents Online

Women’s Royal Air Force (WRAF)

Officers: No known surviving records

Other ranks: AIR 80, available at TNA on microfilm

Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service (QAIMNS)

Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve (QAIMNSR)

Territorial Force Nursing Service (TFNS)

All surviving files at TNA in WO399 (original documents)

Members of Voluntary Aid Detachments

All surviving records with British Red Cross Society Archives

VAD Personnel Records

Royal Air Force Nursing Service

All surviving records remain with RAF. Contact:

PMA (CS) 2a2, Building 248a, HQ RAF PTC, RAF Innsworth, Gloucestershire GL3 1EZ, England.

Queen Alexandra’s Royal Naval Nursing Service (QARNNS)

Regulars and Reserves: Records at TNA in ADM104/161-165, held on microfilm.

Sue

Thanks sue,

Its actually a member of the WRAF who died on the 12/11/18 that I am interested in so it might be possible that her records survive in AIR 80 at the NA.

Thanks for the info

Regards

Oli

Thanks sue,

Its actually a member of the WRAF who died on the 12/11/18 that I am interested in so it might be possible that her records survive in AIR 80 at the NA.

Thanks for the info

Regards

Oli

So that would be either Alice Ruth ARMER or Annie ROBERTS then.

So that would be either Alice Ruth ARMER or Annie ROBERTS then.

Jim you are completely and utterly.... correct. How on earth did you know that? :o

Its Alice Ruth Armer I am intrigued about. I am doing some research on her husband Arthur Armer who died in the war, and came across a reference to Alice. As I have never done any research into women who served in the war I wanted to find out more about her.

This forum never ceases to amaze me. Do you know any other details about Alice Ruth Armer?

Regards

Oli

Hello Oli, Luckily her attestation papers are in the National Archives, Kew so I know a bit about her. She enlisted at Bristol on the 14th October 1918 and her mother-in-law was partly dependant on her. She was placed as a technical store worker at Handsworth College, Birmingham. She died of pneumonia. I have gleaned family history from the 1901 census if you need it, too. Lastly, I have a photograph of her grave headstone which I would be happy to pass on to you subject to the person who took it for me agreeing. Jim

Hello Oli, Luckily her attestation papers are in the National Archives, Kew so I know a bit about her. She enlisted at Bristol on the 14th October 1918 and her mother-in-law was partly dependant on her. She was placed as a technical store worker at Handsworth College, Birmingham. She died of pneumonia. I have gleaned family history from the 1901 census if you need it, too. Lastly, I have a photograph of her grave headstone which I would be happy to pass on to you subject to the person who took it for me agreeing. Jim

Hi Jim,

That is fantastic. If you are able to forward the information on to me it would be great. I would cetainly be interested in the family history (It is the Kirkby Lonsdale connection I am particularly interested in - I belive she was born there). I would also very much appreciate a picture of the headstone if you are able to get the consent.

I have sent off for her papers so hopefully I should get thoes in the next two weeks.

I will PM you my email.

Thanks again Jim

Regards

Oli

Oli, I have sent information on Alice Armer to you by direct email and Michelle Young, who took the original photograph of Alice Armer's headstone for me, is only too pleased for me to pass that on also. Enjoy. Jim

Jim,

Cheers for the information. Also thanks to Michelle Young for the original picture of the grave.

I must say that the grave itself is rather grand. No mention of her war service on it though, only that of her husband!

Thanks Again

Regards

Oli

• Admin

A pleasure to help Oli

Cheers, Michelle

Hi Jim and Michelle,

I have been doing a bit more research on Arthur Armer (alices husband) and as part of this contacted the Border Reg Museum at Carlise. They didnt have more information really, only general advice.

However, they did say that any information I find re Alice Armer they would be interested in. What I was going to do is see what I uncover over the course of my research (which will take a couple of months) and then foward all information I have got on Alice to the Museum as well as presenting it to the school (which is my overall purpose for the research).

I, did, however want to ask you guys if I can include the info that you provided me on Alice. Obviously I will reference the information to you.

Kind Regards

Oli