Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11/Manchesters

CROONAERT

Thanks to a tip-off from John ( ;) ), I've now got a history of the 11th (Service) Bn. Manchester Regiment, covering July 1st 1915 through to July 29th 1917.

Any look-ups required, just ask.

Dave.

Dave

Surprised you didn't photcopy the whole thing. ;)

Good, innit.

Dunno why the Museum/Archives don't just get on and publish this and the others. You'd think they would want the income.

John

Dave

Surprised you didn't photcopy the whole thing. ;)

I would have done ,John (if I wasn't getting nagged by some old "dear" for hogging the photocopier!).

As it was, I got everything that I needed plus a few extras. (I also got a free lesson in computer use, as there was an "adult education" class going on in the same room that I was earwigging as I copied the pages). 41 out of 57 pages ain't bad,though (I'll be back for the rest shortly!).

Never having ventured to Stalybridge before, I was surprised (and impressed) by the Great War related wall plaques that are scattered around the town commemmorating VC winners and other personalities. I had a real decent wander.

The history of the 11th is supposed to be getting published on the same lines as those for the 12th and 21st Bns, but when, I don't know! (You'll remember me mentioning this about a year ago - I still haven't heard anything!).

Dave.

Guest dave neale

Dave,

If you would be so kind, could you see if there is any mention of:

Sjt Thomas Barrett 3773 11th Manc Rgt KIA 4-10-17

Also are you able to elaborate on the action during this date.

many thanks in advance,

Dave

Sorry Dave.

The bit that I've got only goes up to 29-7-17. I feel quite safe in saying that there wouldn't be any mention ,though, as OR's are very rarely mentioned by name unless they did something spectacular.

Sorry,

dave. :(

Guest dave neale

Dave

Thanks for the reply :D

If I had read your first post properly I would have seen that you mentioned only up to the 29/7/17 :blink:

thanks anyway

Dave

Dave

Apparently, there is some doubt when or if the 11th's history is going tobe published. In my recent email exchanges with the Museum curator (which started with my "why don't you have copies of the War Diaries" diatribe, I got on to "why don't you publish all these histories stuck on the shelves". Apparently Mr Bonner, Chairman of the Trustees, has this as an on-going project. But as you know, it's taken him years to produce the first two - AND IT'S NOT AS THOUGH HE EVEN HAS TO WRITE THEM - they were all written up in the 30's!!!!!!

Did you see the war memorial bridge? Next time you are there, turn right out of the library and it's about 30 yards down the road. I think it's my favourite memorial anywhere.

(t'other Dave - wotcha mate. You still the other side of the world?)

John

Apparently, there is some doubt when or if the 11th's history is going tobe published.

I don't care anymore! (Now I've practically got it!!) :D

I went over the bridge that I think you mention (but didn't notice that it was a memorial :angry: ). I'll definately have a better look next time.

Dave.

Guest dave neale
(t'other Dave - wotcha mate. You still the other side of the world?)

Hi John,

Yup! still 6000 miles away. Hope to pay a short visit back to the UK sometime in Feb.

I may even get time to pay a visit to the PRO. Something I certainly miss doing being so far away.

Dave,

If you manage to get the rest of the 11th dairy copied I would be very grateful if you could give a brief outline of the movements around 4-10-17.

cheers

Dave

Dave N

I'm going to Stalybridge tomorrow (to use their Soldiers Died WW2) and will do the look-up for you. Am I looking for anything in particular?

John

Guest dave neale

John,

Thanks for the offer. Nothing in particular, I only have the basic details of Thomas Barrett from soldiers died and CWGC. Plus I'm not familiar with the movements of the 11 mancs around this date so any info will be gratefully received.

Good luck with your WW11 research. As an aside I would be interested in your WW11 findings in general on the manchester regiment. I visited Thailand back in the summer and took a trip to the river kwai.

While paying our respects at the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery I was surprised to see several Manchester men.

all the best

Dave

I'm going to Stalybridge tomorrow (to use their Soldiers Died WW2)

John.

To save you the journey in future, I've got the Army Roll of Honour 1939-45 CD-ROM. If you ever need anyone looking up on this, just let me know.

Dave.

Dave.

The CD lists the particulars of 499 soldiers of the Manchester Regiment who died in the various Far East theatres.

Dave.

Accrington Dave - Thanks for the offer, mate (you had mentioned it before). I've got about 25 "unknowns" and I need to have a "play", which is why I hadnt troubled you. This will be "last shot" to identify them, as there was no local newspaper reports. Surprising there's so many when I only have 2 or 3 from WW1.

HK Dave - no worries, mate. Will do and will drop you an email. There several on the memorials buried at Kanchanaburi - various regiments. The WW2 element of the website is going to be nothing like as detailed as the WW1 (the history simply doesnt interest me as much, but I felt I needed to do something). Should all be uploaded by end of march.

John

Guest dave neale
The CD lists the particulars of 499 soldiers of the Manchester Regiment who died in the various Far East theatres.

Dave,

I didnt realise there was so many.

John,

I fully understand what you are saying about the second world war. My interest has been dominated by WW1 and only really during my trip to Thailand did I have an urge to see what had happened to our guys on the death railway.

Anyway that thread is not for this forum.

I shall look out for your website when its completed .

Dave