Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Vickers" ID?

PFF

On a cover of "Cross and Cockade" there was a photograph of a "Vickers" Pusher aircraft with a German Pilot in cockpit and one standing nearby. On the place is large number-either "4" or "6" or "9". Possible ID?

On a cover of "Cross and Cockade" there was a photograph of a "Vickers" Pusher aircraft with a German Pilot in cockpit and one standing nearby. On the place is large number-either "4" or "6" or "9". Possible ID?

If you can post the photo, it might help identify the bird.

The only Vickers pusher aircraft to be used over France were the FB5 Gun bus and the FB9 Gun bus both two seaters. The FB5 was probably the first aircraft specifically designed to attack others to see service anywhere. I suspect that the photo you have is an FB 9 which was an improved version of the FB5. It was quite successful but soon replaced by the FE2 series that had a more powerful engine and could carry a bigger load.

Vickers did build a number of single seat pusher types a very small (single figure) number seeing some service with home defence squadrons.

If you don't have access to the journal to read the description of the photo on the inside of the front cover I'm sure Cross and Cockade will help you ( Marcus Williams for example on sales.manager@crossandcockade.com ). If you provide them with the number of the journal he can look at the copy they keep as master. I've found the people at C&C extremely helpful in the past, especially Roger Tisdale and Colin Huston.