Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badges, insignia and uniform

Guest gen_wizard

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

I would like to ask if anyone has pics of several different Corps. They are as follows:- The 43rd Canadian Mounted Rifles

The Canadian Royal Army Service Corps

1/6 Kings Liverpool Regiment

I am interested in the uniforms, badges and insignia that they wore from the beginning of 1916 onwards. Just a scanned pic will do just fine as i don't want to own the actual item/s.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me

Mike

Mike,

is it scans of the actual insignia that you want, or do you want pictures of the insignia actually being worn?

Dave.

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Dave,

Just scans of pics will do. Just need to find out what these units would of been wearing during those years. Any pics of anything to do with those units are welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Mike.

The 1/6 Kings (Liverpool) shoulder title...

post-23-1075239917.jpg

...and the cap-badge to the same...

post-23-1075239973.jpg

6th Kings were a Rifle Battalion so the shoulder title, capbadge and buttons were black. They were from the South End of Liverpool. Between the wars (and after) they wore a cloth shoulder sleeve insignia showing the silhouette of the capbadge in black/rifle green on a red square, they may have worn this in the war.

The 43rd Canadian Mounted Rifles; The Canadian Royal Army Service Corps

Mike, you may wish to clarify this. There was no such unit as 43rd CMR, there was a 3rd and a 4th but not 43rd.

I have never heard of the CASC referred to as Royal; but perhaps someone may correct me.

Peter in Vancouver

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Peter,

Sorry about adding the Royal, i was thinking of the U/K RASC. I'll check to see what unit of the CMR he was with, i think i got that wrong as well. The person i am researching joined in 1916 in Hamilton, Ontario. On his Attestation papers it says CMR. He died on 28th August 1918 at Vimy ridge.

Do you know anything about the 98th Battalion, CEF?

Thanks for your help so far, and to everyone else that maybe able to help me.

Regards to all

Mike

98th Battalion (Lincoln and Welland) recruited in Central Ontario. Men got number block 210001-213000. Btn was absorbed by 12th Reserve Btn, which reinforced the 3rd, 15th, 20th, and 75th Battalions in France.

Peter

The 3rd and 4th CMR were recruited in different parts of the country. The 3rd was from Alberta and the 4th from Ontario. The 4th CMR was a frontline battalion while the 3rd was broken up for reinforcements, mainly for the 1st CMR and 2nd CMR, both western Canadian battalions. It is likely that this fellow is 4th CMR. (Though stranger things have been known to happen.)

The 12 Reserve Bn also reinforced the 4th CMR. (See Love pg 93.)

6th Kings were a Rifle Battalion so the shoulder title, capbadge and buttons were black. They were from the South End of Liverpool. Between the wars (and after) they wore a cloth shoulder sleeve insignia showing the silhouette of the capbadge in black/rifle green on a red square, they may have worn this in the war.

The 1/6th Bn of the King's wore a cloth shoulder title on their upper arms bearing the legend "LIVERPOOL RIFLES" embroidered in red on a dark green arc. From 30th March 1916, once they had joined 55th Division, they were ordered to wear two vertical bars in green "II" on the back of the tunic below the collar. From early 1917 they also wore the "Red Rose of Lancashire" division sign on both arms. A red oval backing was worn behind their cap badge and black puttees in service dress up until they left for France in early 1915.

• 9 months later...

Mike:-s

I have quite a bit on the 98th Battalion. Email me:- bill_smy@yahoo.com

Mike:-s

I have quite a bit on the 98th Battalion. Email me:- bill_smy@yahoo.com

Re 6th ( Rifle) Battalion Kings Liverpool Regt.( Liverpool Rifles )

I attach an old photo of part of my 6th Kings collection which I hope might be of interest.

I have a couple of copies of my book Insignia of the kings Liverpol regt Volunteers and Teritorials A5 fomat in full colour at £9 inclusive of p and p

Peter Brydon

( peter.brydon@btinternet.com )

Guest percyporter

Can anyone identify the cap badge on this pic. I know who he is and have confirmed that is is a British Uniform with Canadian insignia, the Maple Leaf badge worn on the collar confirms this, but I am unable to identify the cap badge, it appears similar to the British Royal Signals badge.

regards

Alan

post-23-1101691881.jpg

Hi The cap badge in the image is to one of the battalions of the Winnipeg Rifles. The 8th Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Force was recruited and perpetuated by the Winnipeg Rifles (later Royal Winnipeg Rifles), and served in the Canadian Corps in the First Canadian Division, 2nd Infantry Brigade. The 90th, 144th, 190th and 203rd Battalions were recruited under the Winnipeg Rifles, and disbanded to serve as reinforcements for the 8th and other front line battalions.

PercyPorter:

The unifrom is Canadian as well, as evidenced by the 7-button front (British tunics have 5), the pointed cuffs, the v-shaped (British used plain box shaped) upper pocket flaps, and the standing collar (although this can be found on altered British tunics).