Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish ANZAC Wedding

BottsGreys

Hopefully, this may be of interest to someone. Does anyone have any suggestions for in-depth information regarding the military service of these 2 officers of the 6th AIF? Is there a unit history, by chance? Thanks so much for any information.

"The Kildare Observer, Saturday, October 21, 1916"

A very pretty and interesting wedding took place last Saturday in St. John's Church, Sandymount, Dublin, when Capt. Charles Guilfoyle, Adjutant, 6th Battn.

Australian Imperial Force, was married to Bessie Isabel (Bella), eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Brumby, 6, Dromard Terrace, Sandymount. The officiating clergyman was the Rev. F. S. Le Fanu, BA. The bride looked lovely in a brown silk costume trimmed with chiffon and embroidery to match, brown picture hat with large white osprey and ermine pelt. Her bouquet was composed of myrtle and malmaison carnation. Her sister, Miss Bertha Brumby, in pink ninon and large blue hat, was bridesmaid and carried a bouquet of shaded carnations. She wore an octogonal French watch, the gift of the bridegroom. Major J. H. P. Eller, a brother officer of the bridegroom, acted as best man. After the ceremony a reception was held at the house of the bride's parents. A large number of friends journeyed from Naas, where the bride's family resided for about fifteen years. The bridegroom also served in the R.D.F. for some time in Naas, and on severing his connection with that regiment took up a position in Melbourne. He was one of the original force which left Australia for active service, was through the strenuous Gallipoli campaign, and later went with his battalion to France, taking part in the "Great Push" on the Somme. He has had a distinguished career in the war,

his services being rewarded by rapid promotion. He is one of the very few survivors of his battalion, which has experienced very severe knocks.

Captain and Mrs. Guilfoyle left by the mail boat from Kingstown en route to North Wales."

Below: The wedding party. Captain Charles Guilfoyle is center, next to his best man, Major Joseph Henry Peter Eller, DSO (gazetted 18 March, 1918).

Chris

post-1-1075179547.jpg

National Archives of Australia

Guilfoyle file entry

Eller file entry

You can request a free copy of each file by clicking in that space and filling out a form. It will probably take about 5 weeks to appear.

Chris,

Go the the Australian War Memorial Website and look in Biographical Databases. You should find both your chaps in the WW1 Nominal Roll, Honours & Awards, Recommendations for Honours & Awards.

I have the 6th and 8th Battalion histories. There are a few mentions of them and photos of both.

In the 6th Battalion History 'Rough as Bags' by Ron Austin - Eller is listed as 2/LT J.H.P. Eller in the Nominal Roll and as Major in the Officers Roll. He was one of the original officers and made the Transport Officer prior to Gallipoli. He was transferred to the 8th Battalion in April 1917. Looks like he won his DSO and was also MID with the 8th Battalion. He is mentioned in the 8th Btn history - 'Cobbers in Khaki' by Ron Austin - as arriving as the Battalion 2IC. Being involved in an attack at Carlisle Farm in September 1917. Being temporary CO in November 1917. Taking English leave in February 1918. Returning to Australia in March 1918.

In the 6th Battalion History 'Rough as Bags' by Ron Austin - Guilfoyle is listed as RQMS C . Guilfoyle regimental number 2 - yes 2! He is listed as Captain in the Officers Roll. He was awarded an MC but it looks like he was also recommended for the DSO (see AWM Recommendations). It mentions him as being one of the first soldiers sworn in after transferring from the permanent army and was appointed RQMS at this time. He is mentioned as a LT at Gallipoli in August 1915. As the QM in January 1916 in Egypt and nicknamed "Strawberry". As the adjutant in April 1916. As being awarded the MC in August 1916 after Pozieres. As being replaced as Adj in late 1916. It also looks like he may have served as a Pte in WW2 in on home defence duties.

If you want photocopies let me know.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim:

Thanks for the Australian War Memorial suggestion. I was able to find both Guilfoyle and Eller there, as you said. Thanks as well for the additional information you provided about the two--it appears they had their fair share of the War. Regarding your offer, I would love to obtain photocopies of pertinent information about them from your unit histories. If it is okay with you, I will contact you off-forum?

Once again, thanks so much,

Chris

Just a thought - haven't checked - but the name Rev. S. le Fanu ... wasn't there an author with the name Sheridan Le Fanu?

Literary types can put me straight.

Chris,

You may get me on timdawe@bigpond.com. Le me have your address and I'll throw the stuff in the mail. There is also a photo on the AWM website in the collection database of Eller with other officers.

ID Number: E01811

Maker: Unknown

Place made: Locre

Date made: 20 February 1918

Physical description: Black & white

Summary: Group portrait of the officers of the 8th Battalion. Left to right, back row: Lieutenant (Lt) A. W. Finlayson MC; Lt S. W. Young MC MM; Lt J. G. Pitt; Lt F. W. Tickle MC; Lt R. W. Dowling MC; Lt R. Woodhouse. Middle row: Lt J. G. Evans MC; Lt T. Anderson MC DCM; Lt R. V. Andrewartha; Lt J. Bourke; Lt P. A. Waters MC; Lt P. G. Perkin; Lt J. L. Foott; Lt W. D. Joynt VC; Lt R. G. Hutson; unidentified; Lt W. D. N. Hooper; Lt S. Young; Lt H. G. Whitton; Lt W. G. M. Claridge. Front row: Captain (Capt) A. G. Campbell DSO; Lt J. R. Blackman MC; Lt H. Fenton; Major J. H. P. Eller DSO; Lieutenant Colonel (Lt Col) J. W. Mitchell DSO; Lt Col J. C. M. Traill DSO MC; Lt A. D. Temple MC; Honorary Capt E. Freeman MC.

Tim

Desmond:

Thanks for the suggestion about Rev. Le Fanu. I'm afraid I don't know, but you've piqued my curiousity, and I will try to find out if it coul be him.

Tim:

Thanks for the additional info. re:Eller. I will shoot you an email today.

Chris

Desmond:

I found the author you were thinking of: Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (August 28, 1814 - February 7, 1873) was an Irish-born writer of short stories and novels concerning the strange and supernatural. His work is an early example of the genre of horror fiction. Sheridan Le Fanu was born in Dublin to a noble family. His grandmother Alice Sheridan Le Fanu and her brother, Richard Brinsley Sheridan (J. Sheridan Le Fanu's great-uncle), were both playwrights. His niece, Rhoda Broughton, would become a very successful novelist

Perhaps the clergyman officiating at the Guilfoyle wedding was a son, nephew, or grandson.

Chris

The officers in the photograph appear to be wearing emu feather plumes on their hats khaki fur felt, I was under the impression that these were a 'light horse' or mounted affectation. Did transport officers in the infantry being mounted wear them as well?

Greg

Emu feathers certainly were not an infantry thing in the AIF. I would guess they may have added them to dress their uniforms up a bit for the wedding (which happened whilst they were both attached to an infantry battalion). Eller was in the permanent forces pre-war. I don't know what unit he was with but it is possible he had previously served with a light horse regiment. Previous service/units should be mentioned in his service papers which may be obtained from the Australian National Archives. Perhaps Chris will let us know if he goes this far?

TD

Dear Blackblue,

Many thanks, I knew the RNSW Lancers and I think NSW Mounted Infantry pre-Federation wore black cocks feathers but never heard of any plumes in the infantry at that time.

Thanks

Greg

Just another point.He appears to be wearing an 1832 pattern Gothic hilted sword as opposed to the GS Infantry pattern one.This was used by the Royal Australian Artillery and I think RNSWL prior to the war, which may give some ideas of where he got the idea from. I am notsure what sword patterns were wortn in other states.

Greg

Guilfoyle's service with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers may be worth a look as well. Looks like he may have KSA, QSA? This photo was taken log before he was awarded any gongs for the Great War. Perhaps the 'position' he came out to Melbourne to take up may have been with the permanent forces after South Africa? Anyway - should be mentioned in his attestation papers for the AIF.

TD

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I am Cpt Charles Guilfoyles Great Grandson. I am very interested in learning more about his services. From your emails below (albiet a while ago) it seems you are looking for information too. My Grandmother (Daughter of Cpt Guilfoyle) is alive and well living in Country Victoria. I am sure she could help.

Another point of note, His son Des Guifoyle (who was a spokesman for Korean War Vets) has family in Melboure who I imagine could be very interested in this as well.

Count me in, I want to know more.

Paul

Paul:

Thanks for your interest! I have re-posted the wedding photo below.

Have you seen this thread from a relative of yours?--Pat must be a cousin?

And, in case you haven't seen it, below is a link to Captain Guilfoyle's service service which has been digitized and is available for viewing and downloading on the Australian National Archives site. Go to this link (below) go to guest search, and then enter Charles Guilfoyle in the search:

http://www.naa.gov.au/The_Collection/recordsearch.html

The service record of Charles' Best man, Major Eller, is also available for viewing.

I'm afraid I don't have any additional information aiside from the service record and the very nice biographical sketch that Pat gave. As shown, I have an original wedding photo from Charles' wedding and an original copy the write-up about it in the Kildare newspaper.

I know that the other Forum members would join me in relishing any tales your Grandmother or Des would like to share regarding Captain Guilfoyle. Also, in the interest of documenting the subjects in the photo, I would be even be interested in any information you could share about Charles's sister-in-law (Bessie's sister and bridesmaid), Bertha, who appears in the wedding photo.

Below: the wedding photo.

Chris

post-1571-1146113323.jpg