Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No 2 I.D.C

Steve Bramley

WALKER, Fred

4 Charlton Street

2/5 Lincs.Regt.,No.2 I.C.D.,30705 Pte.

From the Grimsby absent voters list, does anyone know what I.C.D stands for ?

Thanks,

Steve.

Steve - I would guess that the 'C.D.' stands for 'Command Depot'. Dont know about the 'I.' though.

Many of the London TF men in the AVLs of London boroughs have L.C.D. after their ranks and units. This stands for London Command Depot which was based at Shoreham-by-Sea, and which appears to have been some sort of holding camp for men who may have been waiting to be drafted, or who were being held as Home Service only as they were not fully recovered from wounds or illness.

Alternatively, bearing in mind that AVLs are not the most accurate documents, it could perhaps be a mistype for I.B.D. which is 'Infantry Base Depot'. There were a number of these at Le Havre, Boulogne etc. which were holding camps for drafts of infantry which had disembarked from troopships. Men would typically spend up to a few days in an IBD before being sent forward to a division that needed them e.g. a division that was refitting and reorganising after a period in the front line.

Thanks,

All sound quite feasible, as is the possibility of a mistake on the AVL! There is a possibility that this man could have been a POW, does that ring any bells?

Regards,

Steve.