Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

David Miles.

Bob Coulson

If anyone has access to the census I would be grateful for any info for Corporal Miles KIA April 1917 with the 7th Gordons, born in Edinburgh.

Bob.

The 1901 Census for Scotland was taken on the night of 31 March/1 April 1901. Only one man of that name was age for WW1 service:

Name: David Miles

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898

Relationship: Son

Father's Name: William

Mother's Name: Louise

Where born: Edinburgh

Registration Number: 685/1

Registration district: St George

Civil Parish: Edinburgh St Michael

County: Midlothian

Address: 18 Hazelbank Ter

ED: 160 Page: 4 Household schedule number: 17

Household Members:

William Miles 35

Louise Miles 34

John Miles 12

Annie Miles 11

George Miles 9

David Miles 3

William Miles 1

Rachel Miles under 3 months

Family living in Edinburgh, so it is likely to be him.

Cheers,

Stuart

David Miles born Edinburgh Midlothian, enlisted Middlesborough Yorkshire, 292501, Acting Corporal, KIA 23 April 1917.

Buried Brown's Copse Cemetery/ Roeux/ Pas-de-Calais.

You probably have that already - do you have the War Diary?

PM me if you would like it

Jane

• 2 years later...

hello-David (Davy) Miles is my great Uncle and I have a photo of him in his Gordon Highlanders uniform -Bob Coulson are you looking at soldiers from the Southbank ,Middlesbrough war memorial -as I have noticed you are looking for info on Curzon lithgow who was my Granny's sweet heart sadly lost on the 1st day of the Somme. The info on the Miles family you have requested includes by Grandfather (George Wiggins Miles) who was a tank commander and fought in the battles of Cambrai , Arras , Ypres

According to "Service returns" in the archives Cpl David Miles was 21 years of age, unfortunately his name is not on the Image the reference takes you to, the age would match the info Stuart has posted.

Bob, when "Scotlands People sort this out I'll send you the image in a PM or I'll get your e-mail in a PM to send it.

overbylass, I'd do the same with yourself, but unfortunately until you have made 10 posts I can't send you a PM.

Sam

Bob, when "Scotlands People sort this out I'll send you the image in a PM or I'll get your e-mail in a PM to send it.

Sam and overbylass.

Forum member Bob Coulson pased away at the end of 2008.

Regards,

Scott.

Sam and overbylass.

Forum member Bob Coulson pased away at the end of 2008.

Regards,

Scott.

Thank-you Scott-That's very sad to hear .I found the forum by typing in my Great Uncle's name and found this post .I hope I haven't caused any anguish by replying to it .

I have 2no photos and feel the need to find out as much as I can about-: , my Grandfather -George willam Miles (Tank corps) and his brother Davy miles (Gordon Highlanders). I was amazed to find posts that mentioned them. I'm unsure how to find find my Grandfather's records as I have been led to believe a lot of tank records were lost . My dad, who now has sadly died, really wanted to find out about his own father -I think it was important to him as he lost his medals (playing soldiers as a little boy). I believe my Grandfather was commended for a bravery medal but my searches have proved fruitless. Thank-you anyway for your help , regards -laura

Hi Laura

There is 1 David Miles , Gordon Highlanders in Ancestry for a MIC and he was only entitled to a pair. No service records but is this him - in CWGC - http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=568066

There is only 1 George Miles (no middle name) of the Tank Corps with a MIC - a Sergeant and also entitled to a pair. Cant find any service records

regards

Robert

Yes the only G Miles I found was 202136 Sgt G Miles who was in the 7th Battalion.

Being a sgt he probably was later a tank commander

Simon

Yes the only G Miles I found was 202136 Sgt G Miles who was in the 7th Battalion.

Being a sgt he probably was later a tank commander

Simon

Simon -You are right he did become a tank commander , according to his records that I have . I'm amazed he was at Cambrai and I believe he was chosen for the Tanks because he was a master builder and this was thought to be a profession that would give him the technical skills to be in a tank !

What does MIC stand for ?

Laura

Hi Laura

There is 1 David Miles , Gordon Highlanders in Ancestry for a MIC and he was only entitled to a pair. No service records but is this him - in CWGC - http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=568066

There is only 1 George Miles (no middle name) of the Tank Corps with a MIC - a Sergeant and also entitled to a pair. Cant find any service records

regards

Robert

Robert that is him (David) Thank -you .I've checked the Highlanders dispatches for that day (day of his death) but could find no battle that would result in his death . regards laura