Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorials In London & SE

Guest invicta

I have around 800 photos of war memorials in London, the SE, parts of Hants ond Dorset. I can supply copies for pals if I have what you want.

Cheers

Invicta

Do you have a picture of the Erith War Memorial and do you know if there is a memorial in Belvedere (both in Kent/London)

I ask as my great uncle was from the area and I don't know if he is commemorated on a local memorial. He was Stoker J W King, HMS Euryalus, KIA 27/8/15 at Gallipoli.

Many thanks

Rob

Rob

James William King

Stoker 1st Class

H.M.S. "Euryalus"

Age 30

His name is on ther Chatham Naval Memorial.

If you want a photo I can get you one over the weekend.

John

John

Many thanks for the offer but I visited the memorial a couple of years ago.

What I can't find out is if he is commemorated on a local memorial. All of my immediate family are either no longer with us or have moved away so I can't ask them.

Many thanks

Rob

Paul

I don't have that one as yet. Do you know the building it is in? I work in Westminster and can go and photograph it for you (and me) or look for names etc

Regards

Invicta

From memory it is in the lobby of the old Poly entrance - this is now the main campus of UniWest. I did have a note of the names on it once, but have lost the list. Don't go to any great trouble, but as and when you get round to photographing it, I would be interested in any copies.

Hi guys, no photo but maybe the description will help if this is the right one?!

IoE number : 424541

Date listed : 05 FEB 1970

Date of last amendment : 05 FEB 1970

TQ 2881 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER PORTLAND PLACE,Wl

45/89

Statue of Quintin Rogg

(In centre of road

5.2.70 opposite north end of

Broadcasting House)

G.V. II

Statue and war memorial. 1906 by George Frampton. Seated bronze figure with 2 boys, on Portland stone pedestal. Also a memorial to Alice Hogg and to members of the Regent Street Polytechnic (now Polytechnic of Central London) killed in both world wars.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm trying to trace 2 family names to memorials around London. Pte Joe Hare Middlesex regiment KIA 24/9/1917. He was born in Islington and when he inlisted he was living at Finsbury Park, He moved to Steeple Morden and is recoreded as living there on the CWGC but hes name is not on the war memorial!? any info about where i could find it would be gratefully recieved. Also Bombardier Athur Jarman RFA/RHA. He was born in Stepney and lived here until he joined up. He was killed 26/8/1914 aged just 17. I would love to see a picture of any of the memorials, hope this is ok??

Regards

Tom

Invicta,

I am researching the uncle of a lady that I work with, William Thomas, who I believe is remembered on the memorial at Chingford, do you have a photo of it by any chance?

Yours IanC

Ian and Tommy

I'll have a look for you both. All my stuff is at home. I work out of my office quite a bit and have only just picked this messsage up

Regards

Invicta

• 2 weeks later...

;) can you tell me if there is a war memorial in Kennington park, i.am after the name of Sjt Henry James Hirschfield D.C.M lived not far from the park

Tony

Tony

The one in Kennington Park is to the 24th London Bttn (The Queens). Sadly there are no names on it. There is a church with a memorial by the Oval Tube Station. I can't remember if it has names on it. I will look next time I am passing.

Cheers

Invicta

• 1 month later...

Hi Invicta,

Do you have any photos of any War Memorials in Tottenham?

I'm hoping my great uncle is listed.

Second Lieutenant Sydney Elphick Sanders 6th Bn. Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment.

He was born in Tottenham, London on January 23rd 1890. He lived at 159, Philip Lane, West Green, Tottenham.

There's some more info on my web site Click here

All the best

Ian