Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin Experts!

Signals

Hi All,

wondering if any Zep experts can shed some light on this entry in the submarine Depot ship HMS Maidstone's log for the 12-8-1915 where she was based in Harwich. The bombs were dropped around 2300 hrs. I looked up what i could on the internet but got conflicting and confusing information. So best to ask the experts.

Cheers Darren.

The Navy Zeppelin was L 10 (von Buttlar) one of 4 airships (L9,L10,L11 & L13) the others abandoned the attack and dropped no bombs. The target was actually London but Von Buttlar decided that 70 miles against headwinds wasn't an attractive proposition and dropped bombs arround Harwich seemingly on a speculative basis. 7 people were killed 23 injured and £3,649 damage was caused. A motley collection of aircraft were lavailable for defence based at Yarmouth and Felixtowe In the event only 4 Be2cs and a Sopwith 2 seater scout were launched but no contacts made, two BE2s were damaged on landing but no one was hurt. The aircraft at Felixstowe was not laiunched as the searchlights were too bright for the pilot's eyes.

Hi Centurion,

thank you for that information, much appriciated. I did read about the aborted attempt to bomb London but they had the dates as the 8th & 9th from memory.

Darren.

I did read about the aborted attempt to bomb London but they had the dates as the 8th & 9th from memory.

Actually the 9th and 10th - a different raid from that described above. L11 (Von Buttlar) arived over Lowestoft but thought he was over Harwich and dropped his bombs rather than try and push on to London. Most of them fell in the sea. L.12 got completely lost and bombed Dover but claimed Harwich. L 10 got within 35 miles of London and bombed Eastchurch aerodrome and also the middle of the Thames estuary (it was lost as well) L13 turned back with engine trouble. Further up North that night L 9 bombed Goole in mistake for Hull.