Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Joseph WEATHERER 21 Bn Manchester Reg't

christine liava'a

Remembering Today:

Pte Joseph WEATHERER, 40187 21 Bn, Manchester Regt, who died aged 38 on 26.01.17. Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extn, France

Name: WEATHERER, JOSEPH

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 21st Bn.

Date of Death: 26/01/1917

Service No: 40187

Additional information: Son of Mrs. G. Weatherer, of Penkridge, Stafford.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. A. 22.

Cemetery: ABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

ABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Locality: Somme

Location Information: The town of Abbeville is on the main road from Paris to Boulogne (N1), about 80 kilometres south of Boulogne. The communal cemetery and communal cemetery extension are located on the left hand side of the road when leaving the town in a north-east direction for Drucat.

For much of the First World War, Abbeville was headquarters of the Commonwealth lines of communication and No 3 BRCS, No 5 and No 2 Stationary Hospitals were stationed there variously from October 1914 to January 1920. The communal cemetery was used for burials from November 1914 to September 1916, the earliest being made among the French military graves. The extension was begun in September 1916.

Abbeville Communal Cemetery contains 774 Commonwealth burials of First World War and 30 from the Second. The Extension contains 1,754 First World War burials and 348 from the Second.

There is a lady- Victoria Weatherer- researching the Weatherer family in Staffordshire.

You can find her email here

I have not contacted her, as someone in Britain may be able to ring her up.

Guest Pete Wood

I'm on the case; just waiting for a call back from the secretary of the local British Legion.

Joseph Weatherer died of wounds. He was formerly SS/18470 of South Staffordshire Regiment.

He was born and lived in Penkridge, but enlisted in Wolverhampton.

I've got the family on the 1901 census. Joseph was the third son of George and Emma Weatherer born in Penkridge Staffs in the December quarter of 1880.

Family as follows

George Weatherer Head age 49 occ General Labourer

Emma Weatherer age 49

Joseph Weatherer age 22 0cc Bricklayers labourer

Ernest Weatherer age 20 occ general labourer

Ada Weatherer age 19

Albert Weatherer age 17 occ general lab

Alfred Weatherer age 15 occ general lab

Laura Weatherer age 14

Haden Weatherer age 9

Forrester Weatherer age 5

George Weatherer married Emma Thurstance in the March quarter of 1873.

Interestingly FreeBMD shows a marriage for a Joseph Weatherer in the December quarter of 1902 and the birth of a child Forester Joseph in the September quarter of 1905. Whether this is connected I'm not sure.

Best wishes

Ali

Found them on the 1881 census with another two sons!!

Additions to the 1901 census are:

Arthur age 7 (in 1881)

George age 4 ( in 1881).

Also the name Forester has been continued down the family with Forester's son also called Forester (Born 1920 died 1985)serving in the North Staffs Regiment.

I'll go and dig some more.

Ali

Hello

I have been contacted by one of your members as Joseph Weatherer was my Great Great Uncle. I have little information on him personally, however he was one in a long line of soldiers in my family who fought in both world wars.My Grandfather Forrester (Joseph's nephew) was injured in the Battle at Caen in WWII. Any information about Joseph is most welcome as I am currently compiling my family tree.I can be contacted by email. If i can be of any help then please contact me. Many thanks for introducing me to a wonderful site.

Best wishes

Victoria Weatherer

Guest Pete Wood

Victoria, a warm welcome to the forum.

I am only sorry that we weren't able to track you down in time for you to see Joseph Weatherer's name on display.

So are you related to Joe and Ernie who lived in Penkridge.....??

Difficult to establish when someone was wounded but this tour of duty seems likely (extract from the Bn history)

“The battalion left Lytham Camp at 8.15 on the night of the 10th to March to the place of rendezvous “Cake trench” which was reached at 10.30 with Battalion HQ in Walker Quarry, C Coy took over New Munich Trench from 20th Manchesters where two Lewis gun posts were established. Relief was completed by midnight. Three patrols were sent out by the reserve at 4.30 am to patrol No Mans Land and were withdrawn at 6.16am when the heavy artillery bombardment ceased.

“A”, the leading company filed out of Cake Trench at 6am to form up on the tape which had been laid down from point 56 to the junction of Pritchard Trench with Crater Lane. B & D Companies followed at 10 minute intervals. Zero hour was 6.40am and the creeping barrage jumped fifty yards at five minute intervals. A Company on the left and B Company on the right reached their objective without opposition. “D” Company, the centre company was held up for a while by enemy firing but this was overcome. The enemy surrendering when the trenches were entered. Bombers then worked up to the junction of Salford and Munich Trenches clearing out the dug-outs. Though the enemy opposition was slight, the ground, from the place of assembly to the trenches, was in a shocking condition, both officers and men getting stuck in the mud during the advance having to help one another out. However, all the battalion’s objectives had been reached and consolidation was carried out. Enemy machine gun fire was encountered from the direction of Salford trench early in the attack but this was silenced by artillery and a troublesome sniper was also accounted for. “A” Company took 2 prisoners, B Company 22 prisoners and a machine gun and D Company 90 prisoners. Only 2 or 3 enemy dead were found and no wounded. The battalion’s losses in this operation were: Capt. Thorniley and 2nd Lt W F Dunderdale killed; Capt H W Walker wounded and of other ranks 17 killed, 54 wounded and 3 missing. Most of the casualties were from artillery and snipers.

Posts were established and consolidated and a block made in Munich Trench, south of the junction with Salford trench and garrisoned by battalion bombers. Patrols were sent out during the night. During the following day carrying parties were kept busy bringing up bombs and ammunition.

On the night of the 11th, two platoons of the 2nd Queens Regiment consisting of four teams of bombers and four teams of Lewis gunners were sent up as reinforcements. However they were not required and subsequently returned to their unit. Then followed parties of Royal Engineers and pioneers for consolidation of strong point and wiring of captured front.

Enemy artillery firing was intermittent during both the 11th and 12th on the captured trenches and all communications and was especially heavy about two hours during the afternoon of the 12th creating material damage on strong points. The battalion was relieved by 2nd Royal Warwicks at 3am on the 13th and returned to Lytham Camp,”

The battalion was then well away from the action until after Joseph had died.

(Apologies for any typing errors)

John

Hello Again,

I will be related to Joe and Ernie in Penkridge, all Weatherer members from Staffordshire are related to each other. I am in the process of contacting a man called Mike Ellis who is also related to Joseph and he would be very interested to see this forum. By the way who are Joe and Ernie anyway!!!!

Best wishes

Victoria

Guest Pete Wood

Joe and Ernie were (are?), I am assured by a member of the local British Legion, direct decendants of Joseph Weatherer.

I was told that Joe had a daughter who worked at the British Legion.

If you contact me off-forum, I have the address of Raymond Weatherer who has been carrying out research on the Weatherer family - but you may already know him....??

Strangely enough a nice person on another forum has today given me Raymond Weatherer's address. I am still quite new at this so how can i contact the British Legion for info? Mike ellis will probably know the people that live in Penkridge, i have given him directions to here!

Guest Pete Wood

Click the button at the bottom of this post (says email) and I will then send you Raymond's address and the name and email address of the Penkridge British Legion secretary (who sent me Ray's address).....

• 5 years later...
Hello

I have been contacted by one of your members as Joseph Weatherer was my Great Great Uncle. I have little information on him personally, however he was one in a long line of soldiers in my family who fought in both world wars.My Grandfather Forrester (Joseph's nephew) was injured in the Battle at Caen in WWII. Any information about Joseph is most welcome as I am currently compiling my family tree.I can be contacted by email. If i can be of any help then please contact me. Many thanks for introducing me to a wonderful site.

Best wishes

Victoria Weatherer

Dear Victoria,

I am currently researching the Great War dead for Penkridge.

I do not have any more information about Joseph Weatherer other than has already been given.

If you would like a photo of the war memorial please let me know, and i will send you one

Regards,

Cliff Jones