Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing a chap in the RFC

eviltaxman

Hi Pals.

I wasn't sure whether to post here (where you flyer types probably would know) or in the usual MIC/NA section.... so here goes.

I'm fully aware (and fairly adept at finding) army MICs on line, but what about where the chap never served in the army but went straight to the RFC? I'm aiming to acquire a BWM to an AM2 and can find no MIC - so no previous history. There's also nothing with regards to the pension/burnt records offerings at the NA either. My question is therefore - hows does one go about obtaining a "MIC" for the RFC? The medal states RFC not RAF and he's not listed on CWGC.

Cheers in advance,

Les

His medals sould be on listed on his RAF service record as he was an other rank, usually in the same section that records where he served. The online MICs are for army awards (generally the Stars), RAF MICs have yet to be released to the public. His RAF service record should be in AIR 79, original document offline at Kew and in service number order and you'll have that on the medal; it is possible to request a copy of that using the shop online facility on TNA web site. His RFC/ army service record is a standard army search. The RAF records show what units served with after 1 April 1918.

RFC on the medals does not necessarily mean that he left the service, just that he did not serve in a qualifying theatre after 1/4/18, as with army medals.

post-22537-1199135478.jpgHi,

Can you help with deciphering the records?

I just received my grandfathers records, from air 79, and am confused by what appears to be a transfer from 26 Stn to 34 TDS.

34 TDS I can find but not 26 Stn.

He came from the army in Feb 1918 and I know he was at Scampton for some, if not all of his time.

I have attached, I think, the relevant piece of the record.

Cheers,

Dave

Les, to find his AIR 79 file you can use the old tech paper catalogue at Kew or the online one if you want to spend some time on it. As the records are in number order is it nice and easy. For example entering AIR 79/500 as a reference gives you numbers in the range: 54741 - 54850. If your man's number is higer add to the 500, if lower subtract from the 500.

Beats me Slob, it doesn't match with the locations list I have. The only abreviation I can think Stn is for is Station, but that doesn't manke anything clearer. Try looking for 23 Wing instead.

I can't find anything of use under 23 wing.

From what I can see the bases themselves were called stations - could they have had a number as well as a name, maybe for admin purposes?

I can't find any reference to such numbers though.

Dave