Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Endsleigh Palace Hospital, London

angelab

While looking up on the internet a military hospital that one of my great-uncles was treated in, I was amused by the following, from the British Journal of Nursing 17 July 1915.

It is about Endsleigh Palace Hotel, then converted to a 100-bed hospital for officers.

"In regard to situation, a pleasanter one could hardly be obtained in the centre of London. Facing St. Pancras’ Church, it looks straight across Endsleigh Gardens. From all the windows there is a pleasant view, while from the top of the building its extent and beauty has to be seen to be appreciated, The Hon. Medical Staff has been selected by Sir Rickman Godlee, and the War Office has appointed Major L. Haden Guest, R.A.M.C., as resident Military Commandant. ‘ The Nursing Staff is under the superintendence of Miss E. Tubbs, cert. Guy’s Hospital, and we were glad to learn from Lady Williamson that the nursing is to be done entirely by trained nurses, assisted by male nursing orderlies who will act as probationers, and also valet the patients. Officers, she explained, do not care about being nursed by girls who may be their partners at a dance another day. It was better these girls should nurse the Tommies whom they never see again (under the supervision of trained nurses, we suggested, a suggestion With which Lady WiUamson agreed). Also, she said, the officers get rather nervy if they think they are attended by inexperienced girls. If they know their nurses are trained they are all right...”

Angela

But peace and tranquillity was not to reign at Endsleigh Palace for long. In early October 1915 the Matron, Florence Tubbs, was dismissed summarily and given 24hrs to leave by Sir Archibald and Lady Williamson. Miss Tubbs, well trained and highly respected by her staff didn't go without a fight, and taking most of her (by then) mutinous nursing sisters with her. I do hope all the officers were not alarmed by the experience :lol:

Sue

Angela

I think that circumstances meant that eventually they had to bite the bullet! By the end of 1916 men were being culled from hospitals where possible, and the serious shortage of trained nurses meant that the ranks had to be thinned. The Committee on the Supply of Nurses decreed that the proportion of trained nurses in officers' hospitals, which was high almost everywhere, had to be reduced. I'm sure that in the end the 'gels' took their place and were appreciated by all!

Sue

Maybe that left the officers being cared for by the less-trained debutante types after all!

Not to mention big hairy male nursing orderlies acting as probationers (I have a mental picture of the late Bernard Breslau and Arthur Mullard in nurses' uniform!)