Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Wedding Anniversary

michaeldr

In his biography of Allenby, Wavell quotes H. L. Eason, C.B., C.M.G., M.D., M.S., Principal of the University of London, and former Superintendent and Senior Ophthalmic Surgeon, Guy's Hospital:

"I occasionally had the pleasure of lunching with him and Lady Allenby. Nothing was more striking than the entire absence of formality, parade, and ceremonial when he was, so to speak., in his own home. He unbent entirely, was cheerful and merry, with an acute sense of humour, and, as during the campaign, he was keenly interested in anything connected with the country or with the welfare of the troops. When I said good-bye to him on going home in 1919 I felt that I was leaving one of the few really great men that I have met in my life. He had determination, a strong will, an imposing and imperious personality, but he was a lasting friend to anybody who knew his job and gave them credit for all that they had done."

Wavell dedicated his biography, Allenby - a Study in Greatness, 'to Lady Allenby' and the book includes the following passage on her

"After his son's death Allenby obtained, with some difficulty, permission for Lady Allenby to go to Egypt. She arrived in October., and went to the Villa Heller, at Gezira. Her influence in the English community in Egypt was in its way as great as Allenby's at the front. She took a part in the direction of Red Cross work, in finding occupations and interests for convalescents and for officers and men on leave, and similar activities. Her imperturbable serenity was as effective in inspiring courage as was her husband's dynamic energy. She had in her gentle way as much strength of will and purpose as he had."

On the evening of 31st July 1917 Allenby received his wife's telegram concerning the death of their only child Michael, who was serving with the artillery on the western front. Allenby, who was already in the middle of writing a letter to his wife, continued

"My darling sweetheart, I wish I could be with you; but I know how brave you are; and you will be strong, to bear this awful blow. You and Michael fill my thoughts, and I feel very near to you both. Every remembrance of him is a joy. From his birth to his death there is not a day that you or I would have wished changed or to have been lived otherwise than he lived it. I am glad that you had him with you so short a time ago; and I too have had much happiness in seeing him often during the war. He was always the same; keen in his work, thoughtful beyond his years, but cheerful and brave. I have never seen a boy of his age who so mastered self. His self control was complete; and though his quick perception was always awake to the dangers which he faced daily, his well-balanced mind never dwelt on them. This, and his real interest in his work, made his life a happy one, even in the days of terrible stress which he has had to face for so many months.

Whenever he came to stay with me, he was always the same; a friend, on equal terms; and yet, unaffectedly, he always kissed me when we met and parted - as he did when a child. He had come safely through so many dangers that I had begun to hope, more confidently, that he would..."[the end of the letter is missing]

Allenby to Lady Allenby

"30 December 1917

Twenty one years ago we were married. Since then I have had twenty one years of perfect happiness. That happiness has been marred by one great sorrow; but the remembrance of Michael will always be with us, and will be nothing but a joy. The sorrow of not to have known him would be far greater than the grief of loosing him for a while. For all the happiness, I thank you; my wife..."

The photograph below is from a collection in the Library of Congress and it is described in their catalogue as being "…possibly Brig. General C. F. Watson and Lady Watson…" however I believe it to be of General and Lady Allenby

AllenbyLadyAllenby.jpg

That is def Allenby.

Arm

Thanks for that insightful glimpse into Allenby the private man, most interesting and moving. And as the others have noted, the marvellously sharp Library of Congress photo should most definitely be recaptioned as depicting the Allenbys.

ciao,

GAC

Arm, Tom & George,

Thank you for your interest and your comments

I would have thought that General Allenby was an almost unmistakable figure, but there you are......

I have also checked other photographs of Lady Allenby and I am pretty confident that the lady is she.

The more that I read about Allenby, the more sympathetic and human is the character which emerges from behind that bluff, gruff, facade.

best wishes for the New Year

Michael