Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Look Ma No Hands! DH 4 stamp

John Gilinsky

A couple of days ago a DH 4 upside down (error printed) USA stamp (red coloured) went for over 825,000 US in I think New York City at an auction. That would probably have been enough in 1918 to build a plant and employ about 100 men and women for 6 months at least in 1918 building the Jennies!

John

John

I think that you'll find that the aeroplane on the stamp is a Curtiss JN-4 'Jenny' not an Airco (de Havilland) DH 4, known as the DH-4 in US service.

Cheers

Gareth

If pilots all those years ago had known that flying upside down could make them worth a sum like that, I'm sure they would have flown inverted all the time ...

Do we have a photograph of this remarkable stamp?

Here's what I found. It's a bit small, but it does depict an inverted Curtiss JN-4.

Gareth

post-45-1199018804.jpg

If pilots all those years ago had known that flying upside down could make them worth a sum like that, I'm sure they would have flown inverted all the time ...

Shsh! Do you want pilots who are GWF members or who fly commercially and know about the GWF to start copying this?

:D

Gareth from down under: Sorry about that but I guess for a non-plane guy I did okay. Interestingly enough Americans in early 1918 were begging Canada's (read British) Imperial Munitions Board Canada to manage airplane factories in upper New York State (near Buffalo) due to the established experience of Canadian airplane manufacturers by this time.

John

P.S.: Too bad they could not have copied the dull Canadian stamps of the time eh?