Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flt Lt Taunton Elliott VINEY, RNAS

jimmyjames

The parents of this airman are buried in Cheltenham Borough Cemetery but he is not commemorated in the Cheltenham area and I have managed to turn up no local info at all.

I would be very grateful for any info on his service up to his death in May 1915, and, if possible, how he died and the circumstances which led to the award of his DSO.

His father, Arthur Elliott Viney, was described on his grave as "of Saffron Walden and Johannesburg". I wonder if this South African connection extended to Flt Lt Viney?

With very many thanks

Jimmy

"Airmen Died..." gives the following -

KiA 21.05.16 Age 24 Was flying a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (Serial 9384) on Western Front

Buried at Ostende, Belgium (Oostende New Communal Cemetery)

Native of Johannesburg & Frinton-on-Sea

5 Wing, RNAS

FSL T E Viney was awarded the DSO (Gazette of 1 January 1916) for his action on 28 November 1915 when, with his [French Navy] observer Lt Comte de Sincay, flying Henri Farman 3620 of No 1 Wing RNAS, he attacked and dropped two 65 pound bombs on a U-boat off Middelekerke.

The airmen were credited with sinking the U-boat, but the loss is not reflected in German records. However, UB-6 and UC-1 'suffered some damage' from air attacks about the time in question.

Steve, Terry and Dolphin,

Many thanks indeed for the info.

Regarding Terry's post, I thought that the first Sopwith Strutter casualty was on 8 July 1916 of 70 Sqn RFC with three of the four crew being Kia/DoW - a couple of months after Flt Sub Lt Viney.

I'm probably wrong and would be glad of to be corrected.

Regards

Thanks Terry, corrected!

I thought that the first Sopwith Strutter casualty was on 8 July 1916 of 70 Sqn RFC with three of the four crew being Kia/DoW

Jimmy

I just noticed the rest of your comment.

The Strutter was a twin seater or single in the bomber version. It didn't carry four crew!

Thanks, again, Terry. Very firmly corrected and now wiser!

Regards

Jimmy

• 4 years later...

I am related to Taunton Elliot Viney and we have some amazing pieces of his personal items that the Germans flew back over British lines with and dropped after he was killed and recovered by the Germans. I would love to hear of any other pieces of info annyone might have on him.

Many Thanks

FLt VINEY was KIA when he failed to return from a raid on Mariakerke Aerodrome.

Belonged to 5 Wing, A Squadron, nr. 5 Flight

Regards,

Cnock

FLt VINEY was KIA when he failed to return from a raid on Mariakerke Aerodrome.

Belonged to 5 Wing, A Squadron, nr. 5 Flight

Regards,

Cnock

Many Thanks Cnock, how come you had the attached photos?, do you believe that Flt Viney really destroyed a U-boat from the air?.

Hello Irish Dave,

Your first question : I will send a PM

2nd question: I don't think he destroyed a U Boat, found no U Boat losses for the particular date.

Regards,

Cnock

Welcome to the forum Irish Dave,

These records are at the UK National Archives at Kew:

ADM 337/118/403 Page: 403. Taunton E Viney. Service record as RNVR Officer. 1914-1915

ADM 273/6/141 Page 141: Taunton Elliott Viney DSO. RNAS Officers Service 1914-1918

ADM 273/29/249 Page 249: Taunton Elliott Viney DSO. RNAS Officers Service 1914-1918

Was Hallen Viney another relative?

ADM 337/123/237 Page: 237. Hallen Viney. Service record as RNVR Officer. 1916-1918

ADM 273/14/155 Page 155: Hallen Viney. RNAS Officers Service 1914-1918

• 1 year later...
Irish Dave (as a family member) is probably aware of this - but for general interest - Taunton Viney is remembered on a web page roll of honour for Mill Hill School - there is a different photo as well as a little more information

http://www.millhillatwar.org.uk/Search_Res...iew.aspx?Id=178

Cheers

Sue

Thanks Sue,

I was aware of the site and am still considering whether we donate Taunie's personal possessions to the IWA as the Germans flew them back over British lines and dropped them. There are some very interesting posessions.

Thanks

• 4 years later...

Hallen Viney is linked to me but not related. Hallen was born 1899, Chertsey, Surrey. He would have been involved in the latter part of the war. Son of Josiah Ernest Viney and Bessie Louisa Creasy. After the war he became a Reverend. Had extensive work on alcoholism, etc.. Married in Los Angeles, California. His only brother known to be killed was Phillip Ernest Viney, Captain, Leicestershire Regiment, died of injuries Bailleul, Nord, France, 17 December 1914.

• 5 years later...

Can anyone tell me what Taunton Elliot Viney's connection to Downton, Wiltshire was please.  He is mentioned in the Downton Baptist Church Records 

• 1 year later...

Hi Teresa..

As stated above Taunton is a relative of mine. His descended family have a holiday plot in Downton and I know that we all would meet up for family reunions in Downton. Will try and get more info for you. I know his cross which the Germans made for him was in the church for a period of time. His DSO and artifacts have since been donated to the IWM.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this article is helpful....mentions his cousin Oscar Taunton Viney MC, died of wounds at Gallipoli.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive 

Screenshot_20200530-014549.jpg