Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC mechanics with revolvers

centurion

Thanks for that - yes I can see that it would work that way round. I wonder if the 23 men were issued with the gear just for the photograph (which has clearly been organised as some sort of group shot). There seem to be two types of holster worn in the full photograph, dark slightly shiny (leather?) and light coloured matt (canvas?).

I would certainly doubt that there were worn by recovery crews as without a restraining strap the revolver would be likely to fall out as they bent down to do the sort of things involved in dismantling aircraft.

If you look close you can see the pistol case does have a restraining strap across the top that will hold the pistol in. I'd love to see the entire photo - if it's too large to post can you email it to me?

The 4 in the photo I referred to also have the pistols mounted the same way, with restraining strap as in the photo Centurion posted.

The roles you mention Centurion are all ground duties, not air. Still looking to know the point of a rifle in the air (this IS the RFC) after the fitting of machine guns?

The 4 in the photo I referred to also have the pistols mounted the same way, with restraining strap as in the photo Centurion posted.

The roles you mention Centurion are all ground duties, not air. Still looking to know the point of a rifle in the air (this IS the RFC) after the fitting of machine guns?

Where did any one say anything about rifles in the air?

BTW looking at numerous photos of aircrew about to get into aircraft or getting out of aircraft and none are wearing revolvers. I can think of no example of provision for stowage of revolvers in the pilot's cockpit (as opposed to flare pistols) any WW1 aircraft although there would be space on some of the larger twin engined types. However I have seen a few accounts of them being used by the crew of crashed or forced down aircraft so there must have been some ad hoc arangements.

There was a variant of the U.S. Model 1903 Springfield rifle called "Stripped for Air Service." Excess metal and wood was removed to reduce its weight. As a practical matter I'm uncertain whether it was used very much in combat.