Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Airco D.H. 2 controls

Michael Pegum

I am researching Captain Robert Maxwell Pike, who was shot down flying a prototype DH2 in August 1915. He had joined the RFC in September, 1914.

What puzzles me is that, according to two sources, he had been invalided out of the Navy in 1905 due to a "disease" of the right knee, and had to have the joint removed. This left him with a rigid leg, with no movement at the knee at all.

How could he fly like this? Was the rudder of a DH2 controlled by hand, perhaps via the control column?

It seems odd that he was even accepted by the RFC, let alone trained as a pilot, but he obtained his pilot's certificate after only a month of training. I know about Douglas Bader, of course, but both of his knees (one was part of an artificial leg) would bend.

Michael

Hi Michael,

With the centrally pivotted rudder bar it would not have been too difficult to fly with one stiff leg as the other leg could be used to compensate for any lack of movement.

If you have not already read it I would recommend that you get a copy of Vol 20 No 1 1989 Cross and Cockade Journal. There are a few pages on Maxwell-Pike and also his role in obtaining the prototype DH2 for Number 5 squadron. You can buy a CD of the journal from the Cross and Cockade web site.

Regards

Steve

I think Starlight is right. For comparison its worth noting that although one of Bader's legs had a bendible knee it only bent with the momentum of walking and its default position was locked straight. (which was why he was lucky that it came off when he baled out as landing on a straight leg like that could have been fatal) so Bader must have flown in the same manner as Maxwell Pike and he seems to have been able to shoot a few down.

I've flown in the past when I'd injured one of my knees and the biggest problem I had was getting in and out of the aircraft, not the flying itself! I would imagine that unless Maxwell-Pike used a step ladder to get in and out of the DH2 (normal procedure when there was time) he would have found it very difficult negotiating the control/rigging wires, especially when climbing down from the cockpit.

Hi Michael,

If you have not already read it I would recommend that you get a copy of Vol 20 No 1 1989 Cross and Cockade Journal. There are a few pages on Maxwell-Pike and also his role in obtaining the prototype DH2 for Number 5 squadron. You can buy a CD of the journal from the Cross and Cockade web site.

Steve

Mnay thanks for that lead, Steve. I have sent for the CD at once. Michael

I would imagine that unless Maxwell-Pike used a step ladder to get in and out of the DH2 (normal procedure when there was time) he would have found it very difficult negotiating the control/rigging wires, especially when climbing down from the cockpit.

Given the forward position of the cockpit in a Dh2 it was relatively clear of rigging wires There is a photo of E Henty climbing into the cockpit. His right leg is straight and standing on the undercarriage wheel whilst his left is bent so his foot is in the step recess positioned just under the cockpit. He is holding on to the front cockput coaming.

From this position it looks as if he would straighten his left leg and swing his right leg over and down into the cockpit. Maxwell- Pike might just have been able to manage (but he'd have been well and truely jiggered if it had been his left leg that was stiff) He'd probably have found the Dh5 also relatively easy to get into.

There are two colour side views of 4732 in Profile 91 for the DH2, plus some photographs, including post crash landing behind the lines, and a paragraph concerning Capt maxwell-Pike. Not sure where you could lay hands on a copy though!

Hello, robmoff,

Are you thinking of the American journal "Over the Front"? They had an article about Alfred Ritscher, the pilot of the plane which shot Pike down (it was the observer/gunner, Heinrich Maas, who did the shooting), in 2006, and I have been able to obtain a copy. It includes photos of Pike and his crashed plane. Also, on this forum, "Cnock" has sent me another photo of the plane after the crash.

Michael

Hello, robmoff,

Are you thinking of the American journal "Over the Front"? They had an article about Alfred Ritscher, the pilot of the plane which shot Pike down (it was the observer/gunner, Heinrich Maas, who did the shooting), in 2006, and I have been able to obtain a copy. It includes photos of Pike and his crashed plane. Also, on this forum, "Cnock" has sent me another photo of the plane after the crash.

Michael

No. Profile publications were detailed descriptions of aircraft [there were series on cars, locomotives and AFVs too, i think], Lots of drawings, 3-views and photos. Unfortunately out of print a few years now. i have a set [almost complete] and 91 is for the DH2. Also mine are bound, and scanning would be v.diff, sorry!:-{

PS just had a quick check on E-Bay, there is a copy of vol90 for the Chance Vaught Corsair going, but not 91, near miss though. :-|

Hi Michael,

The Cross and Cockade journal that I mentioned earlier has (apart from the story on Maxwell-Pike) 13 photographs of Maxwell-Pike's DH2, before the crash, after the crash and when it was rebuilt by the Germans. These will all come on the CD if you buy it.

Steve

PS just had a quick check on E-Bay, there is a copy of vol90 for the Chance Vaught Corsair going, but not 91, near miss though. :-|

robmoff, what criteria did you use for this search? I can't find it, and I would like to keep an eye out for the relevant number.

Michael

robmoff, what criteria did you use for this search? I can't find it, and I would like to keep an eye out for the relevant number.

Michael

Try 'profile' in 'books comics & magazines' gives about four pages, 75% are profile publications including cars, ships etc.

Sometimes find them in 'collectables' too

I found an original copy of Profile 91: DH 2 at, would you believe, Toys & Hobbies > Radio Control > Radio Control Vehicles > Air > Aircraft > Gas Powered R/C! You really have to dig deep in eBay!

Michael