Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sister L Chapman TFNS 1917-18

Rob B

I have just been given for christmas a very nice ARRC, Victory and BWM with an Mention in dispatches leaf, with the group was a bronze shield headed Salonica (Salonica across the top and then the sunstreaming down between the valleys) and on the reverse was the name Sister L Chapman T.F.N.S 1917-18.

Can any one help as to details on her and whether the shield and medals belong together, from the way they were presented I would presume they belong together.

Thanks in anticipation.

Happy Christmas and New Year.

Rob

QUOTE (Rob B @ Dec 26 2007, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have just been given for christmas a very nice ARRC, Victory and BWM with an Mention in dispatches leaf, with the group was a bronze shield headed Salonica (Salonica across the top and then the sunstreaming down between the valleys) and on the reverse was the name Sister L Chapman T.F.N.S 1917-18.

Can any one help as to details on her and whether the shield and medals belong together, from the way they were presented I would presume they belong together.

Thanks in anticipation.

Happy Christmas and New Year.

Rob

The medals should be named around the rim with Sister Chapman's title, initial and name. If this is so the shield and medals belong together as being to the same recipient.

Rob

There is only one 'L. Chapman' who shows up in the Catalogue of the National Archives as being a member of the Territorial Nursing Service. She is Lily Chapman, and her file number WO399/10350. Of course, yours could be another woman whose file has not survived, but if this file confirms Salonika service, then it would be fairly certain to be her - probably essential reading :) . Lily Chapman was certainly awarded an ARRC, receiving it from the King at an Investiture on 3rd March 1920 [british Journal of Nursing 13/3/20].

British Journal of Nursing

Sue

Thanks welshdoc for the link to the LG supp 1 Jan 1918 for the ARRC and thereby giving me her full names of Lily Langshaw Chapman.

Jim, I have the minatures so no names but wanted to tie in the shield with the medals which I think the LG entry has done.

And Sue thanks for the reference to her file and the confirmation it is her, again having filled in all the gaps on my Great Aunt (Winifred Gedye MBE, ARRC) your knowledge blows me away every time.

Thank you all.

Rob