Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Randal William Shuckburgh Croft.

Bob Coulson

Bit of a long shot but if anyone has come across this gentleman or has any info on him I would be very grateful. He was KIA at Arras May 12th 1917.

Bob.

• 3 years later...
Bit of a long shot but if anyone has come across this gentleman or has any info on him I would be very grateful. He was KIA at Arras May 12th 1917.

Bob.

Bob:

Here is what I know of Capt. Randal William Shuckburgh Croft: He was born 18 July 1889, the second son of Mr. Christopher G. Croft and Margaret Louisa Shuckburgh (d. 1909). His parents were married 15 January 1876; they had two sons and six daughters; Randal was the sixth child. Margaret was a daughter of the Rev. Robert Shuckburgh and Elizabeth Lyford. Rev. Robert Shuckburgh was a younger brother of my great, great-grandfather, William Pigott Shuckburgh of Downton, Wiltshire. I hope it is of some use in your research.

Brian Shuckburgh

Bob,

He is in the Oxford University Roll of Service.

Pembroke College

1908, CROFT, R.W.S. (Sept. 1914). Captain 7th Yorkshire Regiment. France. D. France, 1915, 1916. Killed in Action near Arras on May 12th, 1917.

1908 was his date of Matriculation, Sept. 1914 was his date of Commission. D= distinctions and the dates.

He was also a member of the University Contingent of the Officers Training Corps.

Andy

Bob,

He is in the Oxford University Roll of Service.

Pembroke College

1908, CROFT, R.W.S. (Sept. 1914). Captain 7th Yorkshire Regiment. France. D. France, 1915, 1916. Killed in Action near Arras on May 12th, 1917.

1908 was his date of Matriculation, Sept. 1914 was his date of Commission. D= distinctions and the dates.

He was also a member of the University Contingent of the Officers Training Corps.

Andy

Perhaps another long shot, but I'm researching another "Shuckburgh"... LT (Acting Capt) James Shuckburgh Carter, 1st Bn. Grenadier Guards; KiA 27 Sept 18. I have all the info from basic sources (MIC, SDGW, London Gazette). Perhaps a relative with a family name...?

Perhaps another long shot, but I'm researching another "Shuckburgh"... LT (Acting Capt) James Shuckburgh Carter, 1st Bn. Grenadier Guards; KiA 27 Sept 18. I have all the info from basic sources (MIC, SDGW, London Gazette). Perhaps a relative with a family name...?

I have yet to discern exactly how James Shuckburgh Carter and his immediate predecessors connect with the Shuckburgh family. I can tell you that his decendants are referenced in the 1999 edition of Burke's Peerage (p. 839) and in the 1962 edition of Debrett's (p. 381) on his wifes account (Diana Violet Gladys Cavendish) - two sons: William Arthur Cavendish Carter, O.B.E (b. 1917) (a retired Lieut. Col, RA) and Godfrey James Carter (b. posthumous 1919) (saw service as Rifle Brigade Captain in the Middle East 1939-45). Both sons have issue; I have not taken time to track any of them down yet.

James' parents were John Procter Carter (1842 - 1899) of Eton College and Isabel Mary Drew; John Proctor Carter's parents ware Rev Thomas Thellusson Carter (1808-1901) and Mary Anne Gould. There is an entry on the Dictionary of National Boigraphy (Oxford University Press) for Rev. Thomas Thellusson Carter. Also I am told that Venn's Alumni Cantabrigienses has details of the members of the Carter family who attended Cambridge. I have not seen the entries. If I come up with any additional bacground I'll let you know.

Thank you, Brian; fantastic information! It will be interesting to see if a connection to the Shuckburgh family comes to light... These bits certainly add depth to what I already know of Capt. Carter.

Here is some more information I have gleaned which may produce some research leads: James Shuckburgh Carter had two sisters - Helen Isabel Carter (Mrs. Edward Maitland MURRARY) and Kathleen Agnes Carter (Mrs. Betram George BUCHANAN), and a brother - Richard Thellusson Carter (b. 1893), Major, 11th Siege Battery 14th Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA), who died 18th August 1918; he was awarded the Military Cross. I hope you can share some of your research result as I would love to have a more complete picture.

Apologies to Bob for hijacking his thread thus far... Thanks Brian for this additional info; I'll start a new thread with some things I've discovered about James Shuckburgh Carter. Cheers!