Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Battalion Cheshire Regiment

Alison Arnold

Does anybody have any information about 11th Battalion Cheshire Regiment. What were its movements during the early part of July 1916? Was it a Pals regiment and if so what area were soldiers enlisted from?

Any information would be gratefully received also does anyone know where I can get some more information.

Thanks

Ali

Ali, most of the info you need can be found at www.1914-1918.net, the parent homepage of this forum. Click on Infantry then Cheshire Regiment. Chris.

Formed at Chester 17/9/14 -K3- to Codford St Mary in 75th Bde, 25th Div: Nov 1914 to billets in Bournmouth. May 1915 to Aldershot. 26/9/15 landed in France. 17/6/18 reduced to Cadre: personnel to 1/6th Bn. 23/6/18 Cadre to 39th Div and disbanded, in France, 3/8/18.

In 1916 the 25th Div were involved in:

Battle of Albert, 1st-13th July.

Fighting for Mouquet Farm during the Battle of Pozieres 23rd July-3rd Sept.

Battle of the Ancre Heights, including the Capture of Stuff Redoubt, 1st Oct-11th Nov.

That's all I have at the moment, sorry.

Hi Ali

My granmother's cousin, Pte. William, Mellor, 14480, was K. in A. 3/7/16 with the 11th Battalion Cheshire Regiment. His name is on the Thiepval Memorial. If you do find out more about them I would be interested.

Regards

Annette

Chris and Lee,

Thanks for the information. It will help greatly. I will have a look at the website but I think Lee's information has answered most of the questions I had.

Annette,

Of course I will pass on any information I get. My husbands grandfather was Private George Arnold 24486 also KIA 3rd July 1916.