Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ramleh War Cemetery Israel

londons

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for mine that turned up this morning. Donation as requested will be sent to Chris in due course.

Regards

Jolly Jack

Richard,

Many thanks for your note and for your donation towards Chris’ running costs

Very pleased to hear that you are happy with the pics and that the old fashioned ‘postie’ did not let us down. Glad to have been of some help

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Jolly Jack,

Very pleased to hear that both the pics and the suggestion were so well received

Thanks for the donation towards Chris’ running costs

Glad to have been of some help

Best regards

Michael D.R.

And I have received mine- posted Tel Aviv 19 May arrived Auckland 26 May. Not bad!

I have only just realised that I have another man in the Ramleh Cemetery, Sione Taliauli, the only fullblooded Tongan killed in the war, and a connection of my husband's.

Name: TALIAULI, JIONE

Initials: J

Nationality: New Zealand

Regiment: N.Z. Maori (Pioneer) Battalion

Secondary Unit Text: (Rarotongan Contingent)

Date of Death: 11/10/1918

Service No: 16/1335

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Z. 69.

Cemetery: RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY

If you should go there again, could you get a photo of him, but there is no hurry!

I have now applied for a credit card, and will be making a contribution when it arrives.

Christine,

Very pleased to hear that the pics arrived ok.

We can’t have you getting into trouble with the in-laws now can we?

So your above request must be top of the next list

I just don’t know when at the moment

Speaking of family, do you have a relative who is a rugby star?

On cable here I sometimes get to see super twelves matches from down-under

And once or twice I thought I recognised the Liava’a name

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Contribution made.

Yes. 2!

Talite (Ti) Liava'a- my stepson, -played for Perpignan in France (and somebody, some years ago in England) and the Auckland Warriors in NZ. He also played in Australia

Matthew Liava'a, my son, played for Auckland University and in the Auckland Blues Colts.

There are also other relatives who play for various Auckland and other NZ teams in Rugby and Rugby League, and some who play American football

Well done the Liava’a family!

And Christine, many thanks for the donation to Chris’ running costs

All the best

Michael D.R.

Michael

My pics arrived this morning - very many thanks. I will PM you.

Regards

Jimmy

Jimmy,

Many thanks for the messages and for the cooperation

Sorry to hear about the postal delay up to the Highlands

Looks like you’ll have to slip the postie a larger dram next Hogmanay

Very best regards

Michael D.R.

Jimmy,

Just been for another visit to your site and the pics look great

Glad to have been of some assistance

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Michael,

Roger.

Jimmy

• 3 weeks later...

Clive,

Many thanks for your letter which arrived here this morning [it might seem like a long time but then this place is a little beyond the normal range of a 1st class stamp :) ]

And thanks for your contribution towards Chris’ running costs

I’m proud of the way the Pals have rallied round on this one

And glad to have been able to play some small part

Regards

Michael D.R.

Clive

Thanks again for your letter received yesterday

I was intrigued by the photograph and by the endorsement at its foot which shows that it was taken by the YMCA of Jerusalem.

This is one of Jerusalem’s most famous landmarks. It was begun in 1928 to a plan by the same architects who designed the Empire State Building in New York and it was opened by Field Marshal Edmund Lord Allenby in 1933. So at first, it was not clear to me how, given his date of death, your relative could have had his photograph taken by the YMCA in Jerusalem. A quick search through the web this morning however provides the following answer:

“First begun in1878, the Jerusalem YMCA was initially run out of a small religious bookstore. Over the years, the organization flourished, moving several times to bigger, but always temporary, premises. It all came to an abrupt end, however, in 1914, with the outbreak of World War I. The Turkish government ruling in Palestine at the time was suspicious of British-oriented institutions and forced the YMCA to close its doors. Just three years later, opportunity once again knocked: The British-led Egyptian Expeditionary Force was moving across the Sinai desert to Gaza via a specially built military railroad.

Soldiers amassed along the railway from Kantarah to Deir-el-Balah, and YMCA centers sprung up all along the length of the line to take care of them. After the occupation of Jerusalem by the British in 1917 more than 50,000 troops were given leave in the Holy City. The YMCA became their host and guide, setting up temporary huts and tents to provide accommodation.”

Regarding the post-war building, the now famous Jerusalem landmark, the following is also of note;

‘The YMCA

What do the Empire State Building in New York City and the YMCA building in Jerusalem have in common? Each was the tallest structure in its city at the time it was built, and both were designed by the same architect, Arthur Louis Harmon.

In 1920, the American Association of the YMCA sent Director Archibald Harte to Jerusalem. He promptly fell in love with the city and wanted to build a center in which the three monotheistic religions would find expression. In 1924, contributions from philanthropist James Jarvie of New Jersey, the American and British YMCAs and the Jewish community of Manchester enabled the purchase of land from the Greek Patriarchate for this purpose.

Three years later, British High Commissioner Lord Plumer laid the cornerstone of the building and on April 18, 1933 the Jerusalem YMCA, directly opposite the King David Hotel, was opened by Field Marshall Lord Allenby.

At the entrance to the building the following words, spoken by Lord Allenby on that occasion, are inscribed in Hebrew, English and Arabic: "Here is a place whose atmosphere is peace, where political and religious jealousies can be forgotten and international unity fostered and developed."

The building is a combination of Byzantine, Romanesque, Gothic and neo-Moorish architecture. It is, above all, a symbolic building, meant to be reminiscent of early architectural traditions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Thus, the foundation contains stones from quarries believed to have been used in the construction of the Second Temple. The Christian aspect is evident in the Romanesque and Gothic styles, exemplified, inter alia, by the vaulted ceilings in the main lounge, while a large dome and painted arabesques in the entrance hall are typically Islamic elements. On the floor of the lobby is an excellent mosaic replica of the famed map of Madaba. A painted wooden 17th century ceiling was purchased in Damascus, dismantled and transported to Jerusalem where it now graces the YMCA’s main entrance hall. Continuing the symbolism, 40 columns in the forecourt arcade represent the 40 years the Jews wandered in the desert and the 40 days of temptation of Jesus. The twelve windows in the auditorium and twelve cypress trees in the garden are meant to signify the twelve tribes, the twelve disciples of Jesus and the twelve followers of Mohammed.

The building is divided into three units: the main section, with its education and hotel facilities, a 600-seat auditorium with a 2,519-pipe organ, a gift of the Juilliard Music Foundation, and a wing with sports facilities. Here was the city’s first swimming pool.

From the top of the 50-meter tower one has a panoramic view of Jerusalem and surroundings. High on the tower is a relief figure of the six-winged seraph of Isaiah’s vision (Isaiah 6:2-3). The capitals of two columns at the entrance, of polished red stone, depict the Woman of Samaria with a jug on her head, mentioned in the New Testament, and a lamb representing the sacrifice of Jesus.

On special occasions, the YMCA’s 35 carillon bells – the largest of which weighs one and a half tons – are activated. The carillon chamber also contains carvings of instruments mentioned in the bible: lyre, horn and harp.

A library of 50,000 volumes in five languages contains books on the Holy Land – its history, travel, geography and archeology. A unique feature of the education department is a Jewish-Arab kindergarten where some 150 youngsters annually learn to live and play together.’

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Wow, thanks Michael I had often wondered about the photograph, I do own the original and your information makes fascinating reading.

:lol::D I cannot believe I only put a first class stamp on your letter, I work overseas and should have known better, I am indeed a "first class clown" and a disgrace to the Royal Corps of Signals.... Remember if I can be of any future help to yourself please do not hesitate to ask.

Clive