Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Trenches please

keggy65

I've had some wonderful responses to my various requests previously and am now seeking more help please.

This is an extract from War Diary of 8th SLI of 17 November 1916 and I wondered if fellow members had maps of the areas/trenches that I could see please.

"9pm. Received orders for operations on the 18th."

"MESSAGE AND SIGNALS. 19th DIV hope to advance against GRANDCOURT at 8.10am. V Corps H. ARTY will keep its fire on PUSIEUX TRENCH from R.8 b 7 3 to its junction with ARTILLERY ALLEY until ordered to lift off. II Corps H ARTY is also firing on the trench. 37 DIV will be prepared to capture PUISIEUX & RIVER TR as far north as MIRAUMONT ALLEY. 8 Somersets will attack PUSIEUX & RIVER TR from R 8 b 7 3 to its junction with MIRAUMONT ALLEY. 4 Middx will move by companies into ANCRE TR as vacated by 8 Somersets and will be prepared to support Somerset attack on PUSIEUX & RIVER TR. PUSIEUX ROAD from R 8 c 09 to R 7 b 67 will be reconnoitred in a (?) of assembly by MIDDX. The attack will be ordered by the BDE and the Somersets will be Prepared to start at 11 AM."

Following quite a harrowing account of this attack, the diary goes on to state "18/11/1916. 12 noon (about). Bombing patrols entered trench and captured 20 Germans in dug-out: "D" Company followed and consolidated the trench south of the road. Bombs ran short at one time but others were soon got up One Company Middlesex was sent up to support and later a second Company: at the same time covering barrage was asked for on PUSIEUX TRENCH north of the road. Meanwhile "A" and "B" Companies had withdrawn from the line occupied in accordance with the orders to attack. Casualties very heavy. 4 Officers were killed including 3 Company Commanders and up to 100 Other Ranks were casualties."

"1 p.m. (about) Could see that attack on Grandcourt had failed: about 100 men were visible coming back or moving along railway line, S of ANCRE TRENCH. PUSIEUX TRENCH was held but no further advance was made."

Sorry - I hadn't intended it to be quite such a long post - I get carried away!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Mabel

Mabel. The area is a bit big to post here. PM me if you want a copy sent to email.

Mick

John - you're a knight in shining armour - many, many thanks.

Mabel

Mick - PM sent - I'm very grateful.

Mabel

Mabel.

A slightly wider area showing the mentioned places in relation to the surrounding villages (28th Oct 1916)...

Dave.

post-357-1198338288.jpg