Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

grandcourt, prospect hill, gouy near st quentin 1918

joebloggs123

I've done research on Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

I've obtained a report of operations for 3 Oct 1918 for 6th btn for Prospect Hill which is great reading.

Part of it refers to a tank bridging a canal to allow troups to cross. It also refers to a runner from B btn who lost his way with a message requesting assistance as "only left with 70 rifles". The runner had lost his bearings, would not be able to find his own btn but could find a neighbouring one.

After the day's battle, B company of RIFF and also part of KRR couldn't be found.

The National archives were good enough to send me the report of operations as I was able to quote the Btn war diary, date and appendix ( as shown on the war diary).

Where I go from here?????

I'm keen to find out more of the area as I have (high spirited) hopes to visit late next year.

Santa has promised the Battlefields Europe guide for St Quentins for Christmas but this is where my knowledge ends.

The references I will quote refer to Gouy ( beside le Catelet) just North of Bellicourt at St Quentins Canal region.

Battle commences 2 companies just sw railway running through A.24.B , A.18.C AND A.17.B.

"A" reserve was at sunken road at A.18."(looks like F) "and A.18.D".

B btn reach "A.13.a.62 "and go "half left??" on a line "straight under words prospect hill"

B company have a MG to deal with at "B.7.A.5.9. " "having 30 casualties in 5 minutes" ( one every 20 seconds???) and also at Bellevue Farm.

The tank briged the canal at A.12.D.4.4. and the advance continued towards Prospect Hill.

I'm obviously keen to research this further but need advice.

How to I research / order a particular map for this period for this area through National Archives.

I know that wo 78 is for maps in France but that's about it. If anyone can give me direction on this I'd really appreciate it.

Should I look to purchase a map elsewhere or does anyone have a map of the region.

Thanks for reading the post.

Norman

Norman,

This was the 4th Army's attack and capture of the Beaurevoir Line, this is well covered in "The Story of the Fourth Army in the battles of the hundred days August 8th to November 11th 1918" by Major General Sir Archibald Montgomery, Rawlinson's Chief of Staff, published in 1919.

On the XIII Corps front the 50th Division had assembled for the attack with two brigades in line. The 151st Brigade on the right was disposed with the 6th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and the 4th Kings Royal Rifle Corps in line, and the 1st Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in close support. In addition, the 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers of the 150th Brigade was placed at the disposal of the 151st Brigade, and took up a position west of Mont St. Martin to ensure touch being kept with the Australian Corps. The 149th Brigade on the left had two of its battalions holding a defensive flank along the canal, and one in support near the Knob. The 150th Brigade, less one battalion, was held in Divisional Reserve near Bony.

The attack was successfully launched at 6.5a.m. Moving forward through the mist, the infantry kept close up to the barrage, which advanced at the rate of 100 yards every four minutes. The 151st Brigade entered Le Catelet and Gouy before 7 a.m., but touch on the right was temporarily lost with the Australians who had reached Lormisset Farm. This was due to the deflection of the 6th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers to the left.

This battalion had been allotted the task of capturing Prospect Hill, but it was caught in flank by machine-gun fire from Gouy, and the well known tendency of all troops to be drawn in the direction from which fire is coming at once showed itself; the battalion swung round to the left and became involved in the fighting in Gouy. The Commanding Officer of the 1st Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry grasped the situation, and, showing sound judgement and initiative, immediately moved his battalion forward with all speed. It succeeded in catching up the barrage, and by 10 a.m. had secured Prospect Hill and joined up with the Australians.

The 6th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and the 4th Kings Royal Rifle Corps, meanwhile, pushed through Gouy and Le Catelet, and by 10.30 a.m., after some stubborn fighting, the 54th German Division was driven out of these villages, except for small parties which still lurked in the cellars and dug-outs. The objective had now been reached along the front of the 50th Division, except on the left centre where the situation was uncertain. Consequently, it was arranged that the artillery fire should lift of the high ground north of Le Catelet at 11.30a.m., and that strong patrols should endeavour to seixe it. Failing this, the two battalions of the 150th Brigade which had not as yet been engaged, were to capture the high ground during the afternoon. As the employment of these two battalions would have left the 50th Division without any reserves, one battalion of the 7th Brigade of the 25th Division was ordered up to the vicinity of Mont St. Martin.

At 12 noon our line on Prospect Hill was firmly established and was continued along the northern outskirts of Gouy and Le Catelet to Macquincourt Farm. An hour later a strong counter-attack against Gouy was delivered by at least five battalions of the 21st Reserve Division, which had been brought down from further north for the purpose. This attack was made down the valley from Aubencheul-aux-Bois, and after a stiff fight the enemy succeeded in penetrating to the centre of Gouy. The 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers of the 150th Brigade was sent forward, and, forming up south of Gouy, soon drove the enemy out of the village. By 7.p.m. the 50th Division was firmly established north of Gouy and Le Catelet. The 150th Brigade then relieved the 151st Brigade on Prospect Hill and north of Gouy, the latter brigade being withdrawn into reserve at Bony.

Lots more on this but this is the part of the text that directly concerns the 6th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and the 4th Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Volume 2 has plenty of maps, I will see if we can place some here for you but the resizing might limit it.

Andy

I do not think these large maps will resize well to fit forum limits, if you need full size let me know and I will e-mail them to you this weekend.

Andy

post-1871-1198196785.jpg

Thanks for your time and the details you've given.

I had tried to get a precise location for prospect hill but had previously only found the cemetery.

To be honest I'll have to print your reply out and read through it a few times as you've spent time on this and I want to get full benefit from the information you've supplied.

I'll cross reference them with the report of operation but it seems to tie in well. Your comments on the machine gun drawing men in makes you think!!

If you get time please send on the maps on larger scale if possible. My email is-"nb007@tiscali.co.uk".

Hopefully I'll be able to use the maps to draw up a timeline for the events of the day.

My relation died from a shell which I understand from the report came from the northern slopes of the hill.

Your comments also explain why B btn went "missing" for a while when they went into Gouy.

I will probably come back for more advice at a later stage but meantime thank you for your assistance.

Do you think the books you refer to would help me further or have you gleaned the best of them for me?

I could go to my local library and order up but I'm not sure they would have it. Amazon may be called on.

Best regards.

Norman

Norman,

Will send full size maps through to you this weekend, on the two scans placed here Prospect Hill is at the 2 o'clock position to the town.

Looks like the 6th RIFF and the 4th KRRC got drawn into Gouy instead of Prospect Hill.

Andy

Norman,

The text concerning the R.I.F. & K.R.R.C. all sent to you along with a map, if you need more of the text or larger maps let me know.

Andy