Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal awards for RFC/RAF personnel

kevyn

Can anyone help.

I am trying to find info on my grandfathers service details in the RFC/RAF John Hindmarsh Howorth 47531. I have very little info. on him, I have his service record though it says very little:-

He was ground crew and served abroad.

Enlisted 29/8/16 and discharged due to illness 17/1/19, awarded SWB.

Have looked in MIC for any medals without success.

Were RFC/RAF personnel awarded different medals and that list is held elsewhere.

Cheers Kevyn

Kevyn,

The award of an RAF person's medals was supposed to be posted to his service record - hence he would not have an MIC for RAF service. In the one instance in my own collection, the man's 1914-15 Star is shewn on his MIC correctly so as he was a Private in an infantry battalion; however, his pair is not shewn in his RAF officer's service record. The medals, though. do shew RAF in the naming.

Hope this explanation proves helpful.

George

His medals sould be on his service record if he was an other rank, usually in the same section that records where he served, officers were not recorded there. The online MICs are for army awards, RAF MICs have yet to be released to the public. Do you have his RAF service record from AIR 79, or his RFC/ army service record.

The clerks that wrote these records ha over 350,000 to write in a few months from scratch, which explains why they are a bit basic. The RAF records show what units served with after 1 April 1918.

George and Per ardua per ma..

Sorry for late reply as been away.

Many thanks for your replies.

I have his RAF record. In the medals column he has SWB awarded 24/3/19, then abroad 29/8/16 - 17/1/19 but no mention of award. It also has some pension details! On the whole little info.

From what you both say I suspect that I need to track down his RFC/Army records.

You say the RAF MIC's have not been released, is there any date set for that?

Kevyn

The records that I have seen have specified a theatre not just 'abroad.' What units is he listed as serving with?

No known dates for the release on RAF MICs.

Per ardua per ma..

The info I have is as follows;

Promotions/Descriptions column; Enlisted (mob) 2/am 29/8/16.

Across the Movements columns it states; Service at home 1/6/16 - 29/8/16.

In the Casualties, wounds, medals etc. column it states; Abroad 29/8/16 - 17/1/19.

The only other info states he was an assistant armourer.

If this is of any use, on his daughters birth cert August 1918 his occupation is described as; 2nd Air Mechanic. RAF (Electrical Fireman or could be Wireman).

Cheers

Kevyn