Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK labour force 1914-18

Moonraker

This topic description is somewhat rhetorical, because I more or less know at least part of the answer: women, German and other PoWs, with some British and other army units providing labour (eg Canadian forestry workers)and a small number of Portuguese, Belgian and Chinese workers. I don't know about Irishmen, whom I vaguely identify as having been prominent in construction work in the UK during the Second World War; were they also in the UK in any numbers in the First?

I don't know that the subject would have merited a book, but are there any magazine articles - or a chapter in a book on the Home Front - that have dealt with the composition of the UK labour market during the Great War?

Moonraker

As far as farm work is concerned, as well as men, horses were conscripted. In fact the horses went first, being requisitioned early on in 14 and 15. This meant that there was a lot less work could be done and freed men for the armed services. In other words a lot of the men were not leaving jobs to join up.

The official history of the Ministry of Munitions (about 12 vols) covers what was known as the 'dilution of labour'. There are copies at TNA and the IWM - not sure where else.

There are copious amounts of information about industrial labour in MUN 3, 4 and 5 at the National Archive. See also "Arms and the Wizard" by RJQ Adams.

TR

The official history of the Ministry of Munitions (about 12 vols) covers what was known as the 'dilution of labour'. There are copies at TNA and the IWM - not sure where else.

Anyway to give full bibliographical details for all 12 volumes so that I can check WorldCat,LibofCongress etc...?

Thanks,

John