Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W Ruddock RAF Italy August 1918

johnnie

Dear All,

I have a photo of a chap in what I assume is RAF uniform and on the rear

it has a note from the individual to a friend.

It identifies him as W Ruddock, RAF, Italy, Aug. 1918

I was wondering if it is possible to obtain service records

for members of the the RAF during the Great War, or if there

was any other war or researching this individual a little more.

I have looked at the MIC and can't find him, although I wasn't

sure if they only applied to Soldiers.

There is also a symbol of a two blade propeller on

his arm and I wondered af anybody knew what this means?

Any help would be great. I have researched a number of Great War

soldiers, and World War Two aircrew, but this is the first time I have

looked at the RFC/RAF in the Great War.

Johnnie

post-11843-1197722470.jpg

The Royal Flying Corps (RFC) ceased to exist on 1 April 1918, amalgamating with the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS), it became the Royal Air Force (RAF). The online MICs are army documents and people only appear on them if they qualified for army awards and (sometimes) if they started the war with an army unit, but ended it with the RAF.

The RFC was an army unit, so their service records are like any other army search. TheRNAS is a naval search, but no Ruddocks have a RNAS number (assuming the names were data processed correctly). The RAF started fresh records starting from its foundation (there are some references to prior service), these almost all survive (the others probably have not been transferred because the men were still serving). They are found in AIR 79 offline at Kew and are in service number order, without the service number you have no chance. There is an alphabetical index with just names and service numbers in AIR 78, but it is not complete for the WWI period.

Thanks for that. So because I can't find him elsewhere we have to assume

he went straight into the RAF (as there is no MIC etc).

I will have to have a look at the files next time I go to Kew. It would be

quite nice to put something to the name.

Can the uniform/insignia tell us anything about the man?

Johnnie

Johnnie

The man in the photograph is wearing tropical dress - fairly standard for the RAF in Italy - and the two-bladed propeller on his arm indicates his rank of Air Mechanic Class I, equivalent to an army Lance-Corporal.

Regards

Gareth

• 16 years later...

The man in the photo is my grandfather William Cameron Ruddock (aka Bill) of Newcastle upon Tyne. I knew from my father that he was an aircraft mechanic in 45 squadron (Sopwith Camels) of the RFC. In civvy life he was a watchmaker. Sadly, he died from pneumonia aged only 57 in 1940 before I was born in 1942. I have faint memories of seeing this photo in my grandmother's collection, but it has been lost. So, it has given me so much pleasure to see it here again. Thankyou Johnnie. I'm interested to know how you got the photo and wonder if you and I share some connection through family or friends

PS. I was pointed to this site by my friend Howard Anderson of Woodford Green, a member of the forum.

• Admin
8 hours ago, ian ruddock said:

I was pointed to this site by my friend Howard Anderson of Woodford Green, a member of the forum.

Welcome to the GWF

Although this is an old thread @johnnie is still active on the GWF and you can use the personal message system to contact them. Simply click on the name and open the dialog box 'Message'.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the April 1918 RAF Muster Roll, W.C. Ruddock, service number 17119, joined the RFC on 28 December 1915, and was promoted to his then rank of A Mech 1 on 1 August 1916 which appears to be consistent with his rank in the photo that started this thread all those years ago. The Muster Roll gives his trade as instrument repairer, which would dovetails nicely with his civilian occupation of watchmaker. 

https://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/ruddock-w.c

His full service record should be available in the British Royal Air Force, Airmen's Service Records 1912-1939 collection on FindmyPast. If you don't have a subscription to FindmyPast, many public libraries offer free access to it. 

Thanks so much for getting this. Absolutely perfect information that I never knew existed. You have been very helpful and I much appreciate it. I shall let my cousins (his other 2 grandkids) know. Yes. I'll follow up your suggestion to look up his service record. I'm not sure if our libraries in Western Australia have such free access, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Ian