Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/5th London Brigade Kennington

brownegaz

My grand father enlisted into the Territorial Army in the 5th London Brigade RFA in October 1914 at Kennington.

He lived at Peckham Rye at the time of enlistment.

I just wanted to know if there was still a drill hall or any other buildings still intact at Kennington, would they have conducted training in the use of thier guns at Kennington or was this done elsewhere, I assume they would have practiced live firing somewhere?

Thanks for any replies

Gary

There is a drill hall in Braganza Street, Kennington (close to Kennington Tube Station) and a branch of the Royal British Legion is based nearby.

It is possible that training might have taken place in nearby Kennington Park.

The 24th City of London Battalion, London Regiment, Queens, were based in New Street, Kennington, borough of Southwark.

Just about on topic - Braganza Street was originally called New Street. I believe the name was changed in 1937 at the same time as the 24th Londons became part of the Royal West Surreys. The Royal West Surreys (The Queen's) were raised to garrison Tangier which came to England as part of the dowry of Charles II's wife Catherine of Braganza. A rare example of an imaginative change of street name.

HQ and two batteries of the 5th London Brigade were based at 76 Lower Kennington Lane, Lambeth, with a third battery in Porteous Road, Paddington. I assume the 2nd Line unit would have been raised there, too.

Thanks for the replies everyone

This will give me something else to chase up when I retrace my grandfather steps during his war years in England and France.

He emigrated to Australia in 1927 and none of the family know much about his war service, so its up to me to do the research, I guess these chaps didnt want to talk about thier experiences.

He died in 1969.

Gary