Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Wells (or Wills) Everett

chrisharley9

Robert is another lad that I found on the East Sussex Coroners Records

He committed suicide by coal gas poisoning after discharge early Jan 1920; the coroners report states that this was due temporary insanity due to wounds received in France during March 1918

He had served in France with the Gordon Highlanders

His address is shown as Westbourne Gardens, Hove

The Pension Records indeed show that he was wounded

Reference: COR/1/3/1001

Creation dates: 6 Jan 1920

EVERETT

Scope and Content

Robert Wells, 71 Westbourne Gardens, Hove, 27; suicide by coal gas poisoning due to temporary insanity, result of wounds received in action in France in March 1918

Above is what is shown on the coroners records

How much weight will that statement hold with the powers that be

Can anyone suggest a possible burial place?

Chris

I have got the DC ref

Chris, the DC may give you a problem with the cause. All suicides I found appear to be attributed to "temporary insanity" in or out of service. The authorities seemed to think you had to be mad to kill yourself. Suicide would also appear to be a felony. Here is an ex-RND man with a similar fate, he lost an eye in July 1917 with the Hood Bn.:-

R/722 Able Seaman Sydney Ash Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Hood Bn. 02/05/1921 Committed suicide after Discharge (Invalided) at Home address: 10 Market Place, Newark, Notts. Cause of Death: Did wilfully & feloniously kill himself by coal gas poisoning. Inquest held 3/5/21.

Draft for BEF 6/5/17, joined Hood Bn. 31/5/17-5/7/17 SW Neck & right eye excised, severe, Invalided to UK 23/7/17 ; transferred to Crystal Palace Depot 27/1/18, as No. Palace Z/1726 AB RNVR ; Discharged Invalided 8/1/19 (Multiple GSWs). Issued Silver War Badge No.RN34783 9/1/19.

b.12/3/1897 ; Home address & Next-of-Kin: Father, William Henry, 10 Market Place, Newark, Notts.

John

as the coroner attributes the suicide to his war wounds Im going to give it a go

thanks for the info

Chris

Chris

I'd be interested to see what the DC says. The Coroner's opinion may have been biased. It's a thin one for CWGC.

TTFN

John

John

the coroners opinion may be biased but it is a legally binding one so will obtain the DC & see what it says

Auchonvillersomme

thanks for the doc extract

Chris

the coroners opinion may be biased but it is a legally binding one so will obtain the DC & see what it says

Chris

I'm with you on this one. The cornoner's decision at an inquest must lend much weight to whatever is on the death cert. (which may just be the medical causes). The inquest will have heard evidence which puts the suicide in context - hence the decision that it relates to his war service.

Good luck.

John

Well, if you are successful with him, maybe the inquest/coroner's report for Sydney Ash might be worth retrieving?

John

what area was the coroners report?

Chris

Newark, Notts. I guess must have been the area.

You have overlooked one point.

The coroner says death was by suicide due to 'temporary insanity'.

The use of the word 'temporary' may be taken as meaning - 'temporary' ie occurring after discharge for a short time rather than being longstanding. Therefore, if as the coroner says, his death was due to his 'temporary insanity', it could not be service related. As it was 'temporary', it means it only existed for a short time.

Terry

thanks very much for your opinion

with regard to your comments on the temporary nature of the insanity this is despite the fact that this was due to his war wounds

Chris