Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 12.12.07

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualty to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 12th December.

Pte Harry THIMBLEBY

2432 1st Bn, Cambridgeshire Regt

Died 17.12.16 Age 22

Buried: March Cemetery, Cambridgeshire, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

This is a post-discharge casualty and his case was put forward by GWF on 19.11.07 on behalf of member, Chrisharley9.

Less than a month Im impressed

Harry was born at Beaufort West, South Africa & at the time of his enlistment (4th Sep 1914) he was living at 67 Station Rd, March & he was employed as an engineering apprentice at the Chatteris Engineering Works. Whilst in South Africa he had been a member of the Cadet Corps. He was 5ft 8ins tall. he was posted to France 10th July 1915. Sometime between that date & 6th Sept 1915 he was buried in a collapsed trench suffering a collasped lung. He returned to England 7th Sept 1915. His records show him as suffering from bronchitis, pneumonia & asthma which resulted in him attending various military hospital including Shorncliffe. He was discharged as being permantly unfit for further service 30th Sep 1916. He is shown as living in Truro at the time of his discharge. He died at 67 Station Road, March from pneumonia & heart failure. His father Joseph was present at his death.

He listed on the March War Memorial

My thanks to Cliff Brown for bringing Harry to my attention

MAY HE REST IN PEACE

Terry

I would be very grateful if you could keep me posted with the progress on the grave stone

Chris

• 1 month later...

Please find below an info sheet produced by the treasurer (Terry Hunt) of my branch of the British Legion in commemoration of Harry

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

Well done Chris!

Do you know if his grave still unmarked and, if so can anything be done about it? Or was he buried in mass/paupers grave of some sort?

Thanks.

Neil

Nei

still unmarked but should receive a CWGC headstone sometime in the future

Chris

• 1 month later...

Just an update

Harry is remembered on the memorial plaques in St Johns Church & the Conservative Club

Chris

well done Chris

Nice, well done Chris, not forgotten Harry.

Andy

Don't hold your breath Chris, Some of my lads are STILL waiting for headstones 4 years after being approved!

So far A.S.H MACHIN, E ROSSITER, W. A SINDEN and recently A.J BAKER are the only ones where a new CWGC headstone has been erected. Another 13 still waiting from batch 1.

Well done. Only 39,999 to go....

Neil

Still waiting on the headstone - I really want something to happen soon as the Royal British Legion want to have a dedication cermony at his grave

Chris

• 5 months later...

Having visited Harry's grave last night for an interview for the Peterborough Evening Telegraph I found that his grave did have a grave stone - when I first the site his grave was so overgrown with grass that I just couldnt see it - the grave is of the kerb type surround with a small arch like extension on one end with his details on it - the grave has been well cleaned as has his fathers who rests in the next grave - I will post a photo tomorrow

Chris

• 3 years later...

HPIM1733.jpg

Harry's new headstone is in place & a grand job CWGC have done too

This photo is his grave before

102_0234.jpg

102_0235.jpg

102_0236.jpg

Now after the CWGC have carried out their work; of course the grass needs to recover

• 2 weeks later...