Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC in Mesopotamia

Pinky Manchesters

Any details on Samara, Baghdad, Batum, Tikrit, for 63 Sqn RFC and its transition to the RAF up to 1920 would be very much appreciated. Just trying to trace my Grandfather's footsteps.

Any details on Samara, Baghdad, Batum, Tikrit, for 63 Sqn RFC and its transition to the RAF up to 1920 would be very much appreciated. Just trying to trace my Grandfather's footsteps.

This won't be much help but I can confirm that 63 Sqn were in Mesopotamia during the last year of the war. Tikrit was the jumping-off point for the final operations by the British army in Mesopotamia which included the battle of Sharquat north of Baghdad and the Turkish surrender at the end of of October 1918. The RFC ceased to exist on 1st April 1918 being succeeded by the RAF.

Ron

There are several files at the National Archives including the unpublished Sqn history:AIR 1/408/15/238/1 History of 63 Squadron, R.A.F., 1916-1919.

Depending where he was he might have qualified for the general Service Medal with Kurdistan or Iraq clasps. The Squadron rarely operated as a unit, various flights were in different places. Checking his service record in connection with the NA files might locate him.

If you go to the War in the Air section of the Forum, and do a keyword search for Mesopotamia, it brings up various related threads. There was one a couple of years back relating to 63 Squadron. They were flying RE8s.

You might also like to post again in that forum.

David.

Thank you

Thank you everyone for your prompt responses.

I hope all who responded will see this note.

As for medals my Grandfather served in the 4th City Pals (19th Batt) Manchester Regt. I believe from his memories and my research he was in C Company which was decimated on 23 Jul 1916 attacking Guillemont in Piccady. He was left for dead but fortunately survived, was returned to England to recover. He was shot once in the upper leg and once in the stomach area.

I know my Grandfather spoke of his time in Mesopotamia. We have a Military Newspaper from June 29 1916 Baghdad Times which my Uncle has a copy of. That was his birthday aged 18. (Yes he told a porky as many did on his age joining in 1915). I just read of the memories of a 63 Sqd Pilot which tied in with key points Cape Town and Table Mountain.

My Father recalls his Father talking of Batum and travelling on the Black Sea. I pulled some further info that had a portion of the RFC was sent there I believe in end / early 1919. Dad was prompted but after entering this in Google it pulled up more details. This may also tie in with his mention of going to White Russia.

The feedbak above mentioning 63 Sqd didnt fight as a single unit may account for his possible presence there.

I do have my Grandfathers RFC service record just retrieved in Nov 2007 from the National Archives. It only mentions 63 Sqn and his transition to the RAF in April 1918. His was that moved to the RAF Reserve and it seems was discharged in early 1920.

As with any research I am learning the "truth" has varying percentages of probablity challenged by incomplete records and our mutually challenged memories. If only my mobile could call up Grandad Billy that would be great. The next best option are forums like this one.

I will do some further digging and review the other sites.

Thanks you again.

JP

63 Squadron arrived in Basra on 13th August 1917 into the baking heat of well over 100 deg F. and promptly went down with heat stroke. Only six out of the 30 officers were left standing and only 70 men out of 200. They were equipped with new R.E. 8 aeroplanes.

Ron

• 1 month later...
63 Squadron arrived in Basra on 13th August 1917 into the baking heat of well over 100 deg F. and promptly went down with heat stroke. Only six out of the 30 officers were left standing and only 70 men out of 200. They were equipped with new R.E. 8 aeroplanes.

Ron

Thanks for the further detail. I am pretty sure my Grandfather was in the first waive and must have been a survivor. He never mentioned this part but based on his RFC records in Q it all fits in. This was after surviving the Battle of the Somme with 19 Manchesters. Only Grnadparent I knew but extremely fortunate to have visited the Somme with him in 1980.

Brgds

• 4 months later...

Thank you again and sorry for my late response. Appreciate the clarification / suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Some statistics on 36 Sqn last battle in Mesopotamia Fatha Gorge to Sharqat Nov 1918.

556 flying hours

46 Recce sorties

22 Observed Arty shoots

5 machines damaged by ground fire

15 machines available daily

5.5 tons bombs dropped