Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The US Army in WW1

MartinWills

The United States Army in World War 1

CD-ROM set

For some reason this CD set is not as well known as it ought to be, indeed it is a collection that anyone with an interest in the Great War who is not averse to the American involvement should consider adding to their shelves.

The set brings together all the US Army Centre of Military History’s published works on WW1.

The core of the set is “United States Army in the World War, 1917-1919”. This is a set of 17 volumes (Vol. 10 is in two parts) of selected AEF records. Here you will find battle instructions, maps, key communications, etc. etc. They are grouped as follows:

Volume 1 Organisation of the AEF

Volume 2 Policy Forming Documents of the AEF

Volume 3 Training and use of American Units with the British and French

Volume 4-9 Military Operations of the AEF

Volume 10 The Armistice Agreement and related documents

Volume 11 American Occupation of Germany

Volume 12-15 Reports of the Commander in Chief, AEF Staff Sections and Services

Volume 16 General Orders. GHQ. AEF.

Volume 17 Bulletins. GHQ. AEF.

It does not read as an official history, but there is a wealth of information on AEF operations in WW1 for anyone who is prepared to make the effort to explore the volumes on CD.

This, however, is not all that you get for your money. There is an overview essay “Learning Lessons in the American Expeditionary Forces by way of introduction. But, there is yet more, the five-volume “Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the World War”.

Visitors to the battlefields are also catered for with “American Armies and Battlefields in Europe” which is a fine 1930’s guide to the Western Front battlefields from an American viewpoint. It is one that paints a rather different perspective when compared to the British orientated view with which most of us are familiar. The set of three CDs is worth it just for this section alone.

Finally there is a bit of light relief (!) with a set of 16 prints (Army Art of World War 1) and an associated commentary.

Given that to all intents and purposes the set comprises of scans (or similar) of the original volumes and is compacted down into 3 CDs the reproduction quality is not brilliant, especially when it comes to photographs (though the 16 prints are excellent). It never reaches the point of being unacceptable, however, and is a good compromise between number of CDs and overall quality. The information is not laid out as a history of the war as (for instance) the British Official History is arranged. This means that a little more exploring is required but this is rewarded with a varied collection of interesting documents and things like operational orders maps etc. make for interesting browsing.

The documents are provided in PDF format and a copy of Adobe Acrobat reader is provided on the CD set, though the chances are that you will already have a later version on your PC. You can “install” it or you can simply dive in to the files on the CDs with your own version of Adobe.

Any one of the 24 original printed volumes or print set and guide would, if you could find a copy, cost you rather more than this three CD boxed set. They would also take up far more space.

This invaluable set can be purchased from the US Government online bookstore, though international (non US) customers cannot order on-line – you will need to write or telephone. Be prepared for it to come by surface post - which can take quite a while.

Go to US Bookstoreand search on “World War 1”. I won’t spell out the price here – take a look for yourself, then pick yourself up off the floor in disbelief and then ask why the HMSO can’t reproduce the British Official History in the same way.

Library cataloging information summarises the set as:

This three disc CD-ROM brings together for the first time all of the Center's existing

work on World War I, to include an overview essay, Learning Lessons in the American

Expeditionary Forces (Disc 1); the 18-volume documentary collection of selected AEF records of

the United States Army in the World War, 1917-1919 (numbered 1-17, with Volume 10 divided into

two separate parts), (Discs 1 and 2); the five-volume Order of Battle of the United States Land

Forces in the World War (numbered 1-3, with Volume 3 divided into three separate parts), (Disc 3);

American Armies and Battlefields in Europe (Disc 3); and World War I print set (Disc 3).

An astoundingly useful reference for the AEF at an almost laughably low price.

I agree that the photos do suffer but the operational orders, after action reports etc. are invaluable.

Can't praise this enough.

Take care,

Neil

...in the Great War who is not averse to the American involvement should consider adding to their shelves.

:lol: Like who the German Imperial Army?

Sorry but it made me laugh when I read that line.

Martin thanks for the lead it seems my Army has forgotten a lot about ever fighting in the Great War. I can't say why but most Americans seem to only remember the War for Independence, the Civil War, WW2 and Vietnam. The others just seem to be forgotten.

I for one will check into the CD set you've brought to our attention.

Thanks!

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
Somme1916... don't forget Korea - the official 'Forgotten War'

Here I think though the successful book on Korea was called the forgotten war ... it doesn't match the almost official forgetting of WWI ... You want a Forgotton War ... How about the Mexican War ... now THERES a forgotton war, I'll tell you ... Oops, almost forgot, theres the really, really forgotten war ... what's its name Oh, the Spanish American War ...

The semester I asked my 84 students to put these wars in order:

The American Revolution

The War of 1812 (the thought of missing this is scary!)

The French and Indian War

The Civil War

The War between the States (okay, I reserve the right to be a bit tricky)

The Spanish American War

World War I

World War II

I left out the Mexican war because it was, for the moment, forgotton ...

Out of 84 students - 12 got 8 right, 23 got 6 right, 30 or more didn't get 4 right ....

Let's argue Forgotten ... :blink:

Thanks for the tip Martin -- my order has apready been placed!

Andy, et al, your point is very well taken! We Americans tend to have a very short memory (and I fear, appreciation) of history. But perhaps it is with your efforts to inspire young people that that might actually change. Please keep up the good work!

Steve

Guest Jeff Floyd

Even more forgotten than the 1950-1953 Korean War is the "war" that the US fought with Korea in 1871 over the destruction of a ship and massacre of its crew. Fifteen Medals of Honor were awarded for the storming of the Korean citadel.

Jeff let me know if you have a particular interest in that conflict. See below about Alex McClintock. Buried near him in lovely Lexington Cemetery is a navy man , Annapolis graduate 1866 who was in the storming of the citadel. Several ships are depicted on the fine headstone. Do not remember his or ship's name but can go there next warm day, 1 mile from office and I walk out at noon a lot when it's nice.

And Jeff, just what part of Arkansas did the evil hun want? My money is on Stuttgart! :lol:

Somme1916... don't forget Korea - the official 'Forgotten War'

So true andigger, so true.

I was up your way in 98 and finally got to see the Korean War memorial in DC. It was on a very misty night when the wife an I stopped by to visit. Both it and the Vietnam memorials were very striking. With the heavy mist it seemed as if the very air was crying.

Jon