Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aire Kayak & Susak Kuyu

asdarley

I have a chap with the 5th Btn Dorset Regiment and accounts say he was killed between Aire Kayak and Susak Kuyu on 21/8/1915. I had thought he was with the regiment's attack on Scimitar Hill...or are these places part of the hill or its outer defences?

Reading the account in Westlake's "British Regiments at Gallipoli"

the 5th Dorsets were (per their War Dairy) on the 20th August at "trenches on right of Dead Man's House during evening" [Earlier we learn that Dead Man's House is south of the Salt Lake.]

On the 21st August "Attacked 3 pm - 'B' and 'C' Companies leading with 'A' and 'D' following 50 yards behind. Covered 500 yards under heavy fire, first enemy trench taken and enemy retired to support line. Second line attacked but heavy fire from left flank forced withdrawal to captured first line."

I don't have the exact site of Dead Man's House, however, on the att. map, the area you are interested in is about one and a quarter miles eastward from the south-east corner of the Salt Lake

AireKayakSus.jpg

Hope that this helps

Michael

To answer the other part of your question

the att. map shows the 34th Brigade's position in the attack on Scimitar Hill on the 21st August 1915

taken from the OH

OHsMap21stAug1915ScimitarHill.jpg

regards

Michael

Michael

Many thanks for the attached. This is not a theatre of operations I am familiar with so this is a great help.

Upon re-reading the OH, one further note of clarification seems due

The 21st August saw what was a concerted attack in the neighbouring sections of two adjoining fronts

the attack on Scimitar Hill at Suvla, and the attack on Hill 60 at Anzac

Although these actions appear in the histories under those two heading; Scimitar Hill and Hill 60

the objective of the Dorsets, the 34th Brigade and the 11th Division that day was, more correctly speaking, the 'W' Hills

[see OH page 341 for ref. to Gen de Lisle's order of 3 pm 20th Aug. '15]

Att. is the OH map for the other part of these concerted attacks, that at Anzac on Hill 60

Hill60Anzac21stAug1915.jpg

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

• 6 months later...

quote from post #2 above

"Reading the account in Westlake's "British Regiments at Gallipoli"

the 5th Dorsets were (per their War Dairy) on the 20th August at "trenches on right of Dead Man's House during evening" [Earlier we learn that Dead Man's House is south of the Salt Lake.] ... ... ... I don't have the exact site of Dead Man's House, ... ... ..."

There is a 'Dead Man's Cottage' shown on this map click here

almost exactly the same name and in the right place I would have thought