Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chaim Reuven Weintrop. Now try finding him .

montbrehain

I had a phone call from a mate yesterday. He said I have been looking for a bloke on the medal rolls and I,m bu####ed if I can find him. I asked him what name ? He said Chaim Reuven Weintrop !! I said who?? He said Chaim Reuven Weintrop ! Better known as Bud Flanagan of Flanagan and Allen. ( I realize this may go over the heads of some young uns ). The story goes that the name Flanagan was that of his Sergeant (who was supposed to be a right bar steward :o ) during his time in the Army . Any way turns out He used the name Robert Winthrop too. But Couldn't find that either. But we did find a Robert Weintrop in the RFA. We wonder if Robert Weintrop is indeed Bud Flanagan ? "MO"

post-13272-1197190583.jpg

Robert it is

see http://www.turnipnet.com/crazygang/gang.htm

quote - "East london 14 October 1896, d. Sydenham, London 20 October 1968)

Real name: Chaim Reuven Weintrop which he later changed to Robert Winthrop. The youngest of ten children of Polish immigrants, Wolf Weintrop, the owner of a barber's shop and tobacconist's in Whitechapel, and his wife, Yetta, or Kitty, Price. He went to school in Petticoat Lane. At the age of ten he was a call boy at the Cambridge Music Hall and, at the age of twelve, made his theatrical debut in a talent content at the London Music Hall in Shoreditch, performing conjuring tricks as "Fargo, The Boy Wizard".

In 1910 he sailed on the SS Majestic to New York where he jumped ship and spent years earing his living variously as a Westerm Union messenger, in a feather-duster factory, and selling newspapers, returning to England in 1915 and joining the Royal Field Artillery with whom he served in France."

Yep that looks like him ok. I will ring my mate with the good news and then print this off for him. thanks for your help , Michael. "MO"

• 15 years later...