Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Entitlement to Wear Wings

PhilB

I seem to recall from previous threads that wings could only be worn by those who kept up to date, in some way, their qualification to fly. So I was confused by this, which indicates otherwise:-

http://www.aeroconservancy.com/rfcpennant.htm

"Ashmore was a very close personal friend of Trenchard. They learned to fly together (Trenchard was a terrible pilot and he never flew again after he qualified for his wings) and both had been near death following devastating wounds in the Boer War; neither were expected to survive the following 24 hours after their injuries fighting the Boers. Both also became close friends of the Prince of Wales, Ashmore having taught him fencing when they were attending the Imperial Defense College in 1908."

So were wings, like diamonds, "for ever"?

Yes, wings or other aircrrew trade qualifications were permanent awards. Once earned were an expected part of ones proper uniform. That didn't mean mind you that you could simply hop in an fly anything, you needed to be rated and current.

I know a fellow who served a tour as anm RCAF mid upper gunner on Lancasters and then after WW II he re-upped and was a paratrooper, he rasied a few eyebrows in variosu messes with his AG wings underneath his Para wings. He retired in the early 70's.

I remember the RAF Museum had displays of the uniform for various Royals with wings including WW1 era for Lieutenant (If I remember correctly) the Duke of York and also his WW2 uniform: Marshall of the Royal Air Force King George VI.

If you look at the pictures of the higher ranks, who earned their wings in WWI (and of course later) you'll see that they all have their wings up and I doubt any of them had been made to retake their flight tests!

Wings once awarded are for life, various Home Guard members, my Grandfather included wore their First War wings with their battledress even though they had never been in the cockpit since signing off in 1918.

Rob

I've still got my half-wing somewhere. I suppose if I were ever to don my blues again, I'd still be entitled to wear it. Blimey, I might even be able to wear my stripes!

Blimey, I might even be able to wear my stripes!

Just like l/cpl Jones! "They don't like it up 'em!"