Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Release of men for civil employment

jim_davies

Hi folks,

I'm noticing an trend with my research into the 4th Lincs, the large number of men who went to France in the spring of 1915 only to be released for "civil employment" later that summer. On the 1914-15 Star Rolls, these men are shown as mainly being demobbed in Dec 1918, and also renumbered in the 1917 TF renumbering.

So far I've identified over 40 men. Given the difficulty the battalion had of maintaining strength I found this surprising.

Wonder if anyone has found any similar figures for other units?

Jim

It would seem that where an industry regarded as essential for the continuation of the war was suffering from a shortage of particular skills and men with the necessary experience wre serving they would be released for civil employment but kept 'on the books' until 1918. This certainly was the case in the aircraft industry where a number of designers, test pilots, engineers etc had joined up in 1914 but were released back to the industry later as their talents were thought to be best employed there. Geoffrey de Havilland being perhaps the best known instance of this but by no means the only one.

This seems to have ben instituted once it was realised that it wasn't going to be "all over by Christmas"

As Lincolnshire was perhaps the key area of grain production for Britain at the time its possible that these men may have been farmers or connected with the industry. Other areas could be typified by the father of a friend of my father's, this man was a breeder of horses and involved in providing remounts for the British Army. It was decided that he would be of more value to the country providing horses for soldiers to sit on rather than sitting on one himself and so was released back to the industry. I imagine there must have been many similar examples.

Thanks Centurion,

Most of these lads were pre-war TF men and appear to have gone back to their pre-war employment, mainly engineering type works. Doesn't seem to be too much rhyme or reason, as othr men working for the same firms served for the duration.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Am I likely to find the same in the 1/5th? If so where would I look to confirm it? You may have to explain how though :blink:

Steve.

From the sample 400 or so papers Ive looked at Ive only come across 2 Coldstreamers that where sent to civilian employment during the war

Hi,

I have lots of men returned to civil employment from the East Yorkshire Territorial Force and Pals Battalions. Seems to be to munitions and shipbuilding work some for a period of months others for the duration, they did seem to be trained men platelayer's, boilermaker's, fitters and the like. Also a lot of men in the reserve battalions got released to work on the land at harvest time.

Regards Charles

Jim

Many of the men who went back to the aircraft industry were specifically asked for (by name) by their employers. I wonder if the same applied in your case.

Thnaks to all who have contributed thue far.

Centurion,

I have one file in which there is reference to the soldier's pre-war employer requesting him. Having only a month long ancestry membership I've been downloading as many records as possible, with the intention of going through them in more detail at a later date.

Jim