Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Harry Hastings GRIGG. Gurkha Rifles.

Paul Johnson

Looking for information on Captain Harry Hastings GRIGG

1/3rd Battalion. Gurkha Rifles. Attached to 2/3rd Gurkha Rifles

Killed In Action on the 16th May 1915. Buried in St.Vaast Post Military Cemetery, Richebourg-L'Avoue, France. Medal Entitlement: 1914/15 Star, British War Medal & Victory Medal

The cause of his death is not currently known and I can find no reference to his service records in the PRO. Additionally, I cannot find the Regimental War Diary.

Is this because the Gurkha's were part of the Indian Army? If so, where would I need to look to find his service details and regimental records.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul Johnson

Paul

I have a copy of 'The Indian Corps in France' [Merewether and Smith], which includes details of both the action at Neuve Chapelle where Captain Grigg was wounded, and at Festubert where he was later killed - he is mentioned by name. If you let me have an email address off list I will scan and send the relevant pages, but I think there might be quite a few of them!

Regards - Sue

• 1 year later...

His officers papers (as you get from the NA) would have been at the British Library- the India office papers were depoisted their. However being a WW! casualty his service paper will not be present. They are sent to the family of the deceased officer and no copy is retained.

Paul

Don't know if this helps:

Born 29th October 1880, India

Christened 12th Dec 1880, Lucknow, West Bengal

Son of Lieutenant Colonel Edward Evans Grigg and his wife Josephine

At the time of the 1891 Census he was a boarder at Beavis(?) Mount Private School in Southampton with his siblings:

Kathleen Mary Grigg born 1877 born India

Blanche Ellen Grigg born 1879 born Keynsham

Stanley Thomas Grigg born 11th October 1882, India

At the time of the 1901 Census he was with his parents in Stevenage and at that time he was a Lieutenant 3rd Bedfordshire Regiment.

In 1901 his brother Stanley Thomas Grigg was a student at RMC Sandhurst

His service in Gurkha Rifles states:

First commissioned 29th January 1902

Attained Rank of Captain 29th January 1911

His father died in 1909 in Stevenage. At the time of Harry's death his mother Josephine Grigg was living at Westlands, Rothsay Gardens, Bedford.

Regards

Pam

The Bevois Valley area is a part of Southampton - just outside the city centre, to be precise. Now, interestingly, the site of a mosque and a Sikh gurdwara, so I guess, in a way, Capt Grigg would approve!

• 2 months later...

Just tidying up my messages and it seems that I missed this one.

It's very old but I still would like to Thank All those who responded, the info was really useful.

Thanks Again.

PAUL JOHNSON

• 4 years later...
Guest Lisle Ryder
Just tidying up my messages and it seems that I missed this one.

It's very old but I still would like to Thank All those who responded, the info was really useful.

Thanks Again.

PAUL JOHNSON

I have just picked up this thread while working through my grandfather's letters. He was married to Ida Josephine Grigg 2nd of 7 siblings of which Harry was the 6th. I don't have any more information about him except that my grandfather was about to visit Harry's grave in 1920 together with Kitty 4th among the siblings.