Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No. 43 Squadron

AlfaMale

I mentioned in my first post that my great-great-uncle served in no. 43 squadron during the First World War. I have been researching him on and off over the last few years and am going to post what I know about him below.

If anyone else has relatives who served in no. 43 squadron RFC / RAF, I'd love to hear details. Of course, if anyone has any information on my great-great-uncle in particular, I'd be delighted to hear about that too!

My great-great-uncle was called Leo Nava and served as a gunner and then gunnery office in no.43 squadron from April 1917 to the end of the First World War.

He joined the Honourable Artillery Company in September 1914 and by early 1916 was serving as a machine-gunner on the Western Front and then as a machine-gun instructor. In April 1917 he transferred to no. 43 squadron and was received into the squadron by William Sholto Douglas, later Marshall of the Royal Air Force and 43 squadron's first commanding officer. At this time the squadron flew Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutters and Leo Nava was the observer in the rear cockpit. My copy of "43 Squadron Royal Flying Corps" by J. Beedle listed mentioned him several times and he took part in at least one ground attack mission (as part of Third Ypres I think).

When the squadron changed over to Camels in September / October 1917, he stayed on as gunnery officer.

You might want to pick up a copy of Frederick Libby's "Horses Don't Fly"

Libby was an American who flew with the RFC. His last posting was with 43 Squadron

in 1917

A wonderfully written book!

Fitzee

Not a relative, but someone I'm researching, Edward James Rodwell...

Born on the 22nd November 1875 in Hammersmith, Middlesex, he was the son of Alfred George Rodwell, a nursery ‘propagator’ from Marylebone and Martha Perks from Clerkenwell.

He worked as a grocers assistant, probably in his father’s shop, and was living with his parents at 33 Thames Street, Kingston when, on the 8th February 1901, aged 25 years and 4 months, he enlisted voluntarily into the Army in London.

Edward Served in the Boer War (8th June 1901 to 24th January 1902) with the Middlesex Yeomanry, awarded the Queens South Africa Medal with clasps: Cape Colony; Orange Free State; Transvaal; South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902. A month after his return to the UK, Edward was discharged from the Army at Shorncliffe, having been found “medically unfit for further service”.

After his discharge, Edward went back to being a grocer and married Minnie Rosetta Stallwood on the 7th September 1909, giving his occupation as ‘florist’. They had two children, Kathleen Joyce (22nd October 1911) and Ivan Edward (22nd February 1916).

During the Great War Edward enlisted into the Royal Flying Corps on the 1st June 1916. He gave his occupation as Fruiterer and his address as Avering Down Farm, Bradenham, Buckinghamshire and stated that he had formerly served in the Middlesex Yeomanry.

Edward became 29801 Air Mechanic 2nd Class with 43 Squadron, which had been formed on the 1st April 1916. This was a Fighter, Recognisance and Bomber squadron flying Sopwith 1½ Strutters, Sopwith Camels and the BE2e Two-seater Tractor Biplane.

He went to France with the Squadron on the 17th January 1917 and served with them as a Storeman. He transferred to the Royal Air Force on it’s formation on the 1st April 1918.

After the Armistice Edward was admitted with influenza to No. 16 (Philadelphia, USA) General Hospital at Le Treport, France on 19th November 1918 from which he recovered, being discharged from Hospital on the 2nd January 1919. He returned to the UK shortly after on the 9th January 1919, being transferred to Class G, RAF Reserve on the 15th January that year, finally being discharged on the 30th April 1920.

And that's about all I know! (and I stand to be corrected on any of the detail my more knowledgable Pals).

mr fish

><(((((*>

Thanks MrFish, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for! My great-great-uncle and Edward Rodwell would have definitely known each other as they served in the squadron at the same time from April 1917 to late 1918. Once the squadron switched over to Camels, Leo Nava became gunnery officer and so would have worked closely with the stores I imagine. Leo was 33 when he joined the squadron and presumably one of the "old men" of the aircrew so nice to see he wasn't the oldest in the squadron :)

What I am hoping to do is build up an idea of the squadron, the men who served in it, who knew who and what they did to try to get a better feel for the life of the squadron and the men who served in it.

Thanks again!