Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A brief stay at Tidworth?

Dave1914

Further to my recent reply to your associated enquiry: Jellalabad was/is one of the eight constituent barracks of Tidworth Barracks on the Wiltshire-Hampshire border, built in the first few years of the 20th century. Pedantically, Tidworth itself wasn't a camp (though sometimes referred to as such), though nearby were Tidworth Park and Tidworth Pennings Camps - actually camping-grounds.

Old postcards of Jellalabad Barracks come up quite often on eBay, but I attach a scan of a less usual one, c1912.The long line of double-storied buildings either side are the actual barracks with NCOs' quarters or storerooms attached by walkways. and between them from left to right are dining-rooms, cook-houses (in centre, with smoke coming from the nearest one), and more dining-rooms. In between the cook-houses going away from the photographer are latrines.

Note bottom right corner the RATA (Royal Army Temperance Association) sign. In 1910 the RATA facilities comprised a refreshments room, billiards and reading rooms, "both with curtains and pictures ... a more comfortable temperance room we have never seen," enthused the Andover Advertiser.

I imagine that the main building still stands, but Jellalabad is inside today's secure area. Tidworth remains one of the army's major barracks, and a great deal of building has gone on in recent years.

I don't think we have a local contact in the Forum; I wouldn't mind having a look around inside Tidworth Barracks, but I guess I would look suspicious going around comparing old photographs with today's scene!

post-6017-1196863482.jpg

Moonraker

David

Jellalabad Barracks, Tidworth is now the home of 1 Mechanised Brigade.

Attached is a photo' of the barracks as it is now.

Dave

David

Jellalabad Barracks, Todworth is now the home of 1 Mechanised Brigade.

Dave

Hello Dave,

I was posted to 10 Army Education Centre in Lucknow Barracks, Tidworth 1n 1968 and spent three years there. You wouldn't know if it's still there and have a photo of it would you?

Harry

David

Jellalabad Barracks, Tidworth is now the home of 1 Mechanised Brigade.

Dave

Again, can I nick the photo and information if I cite it to you dave?

cheers. :D

Dave

The Jellabad Barracks now photo is not mine. Its from Drumbeat the Tidworth Garrison Magazine. And sorry I goofed the photo dates from c1902.

http://www.drumbeat.org.uk/photo_gallery1.htm

Dave

... And sorry I goofed the photo dates from c1902...

Dave

1. ??? The building does, but surely it's a modern photograph because the latrines and cookhouses have been cleared away.

2. Dave (Heritage Plus): I take it that the original Lucknow Barracks main building has been demolished to make way for the new accommodation?

3. David 1914: Please use the pic and info; no need for attribution.

Moonraker

Harry

Small world. I was at Mooltan Barracks next door at the same time and completed my First Class certificate there. You probably owe me some money (grins)

TR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was in Tidworth today, and it was good to see that repair work was being carried out on the original Jellalabad Barracks and other of the pre-WWI buildings (which, of course, saw much use between 1914 and 1919). Repairs were also being carried on the former Sir Ian Hamilton Soldiers' Home - opened as a recreation centre for soldiers before WWI. I didn't suss out what new construction developments were going on within the barracks - obviously it's not a good idea to show any interest. But there were some good-looking new buildings in the civilian part of the town, and a very large new Tesco's. And here and there are still some picturesque old houses that predate the barracks.

Moonraker

• 4 years later...