Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Marne' By G Blonde

armourersergeant

Big favour required please,

Anyone who has a copy of the book by Georges Blonde 'The Marne'. There is a picture in it that reports to show FM French with another french general also it states that Wilson is at the edge of the picture. I think it is Haig myself but thats not the reason. I nee to get a copy of that pic please as a big favour asap.

once i have it i will explain why if i am proved correct in what i think i saw when i looked at it.

So if anyone can help asap i would be grateful.

Arm.

Your wish, etc. etc..............

Not the best scan in the world, sorry. Its French with Joffre, plus Wilson, or so the caption says. Doesn't look like Wilson to me. :)

post-22-1074847346.jpg

The reason i wanted this picture is that in WW1 the generals were very rarely seen with side arms. If i am not mistaken this general (Haig) is wearing a holster.

Does anyone agree.

By the way thanks for the prompt reply as I needed to foward it on to someone who wanted to see it.

Regards

Arm.

• 1 year later...

Arm.... Did you ever learn why Haig (aka Wilson) had a side arm in this pic? Also why was it abnormal to see senior officers with a side arm? Or was it just a practical matter that HQ was far enough to the rear that they would never be used? Andy