Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone spare a few hundred quid please?

steve fuller

I was recently contacted about an item on ebay, being the handwritten diary of Brig-Gen Poyntz, formerly one of the Bedfordshire Rgt CO's and one with a fascinating service record from what i have seen. It covers 5 months and I was extremely interested to the degree that i intended to bid with a view of transcribing it for my site.

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/World-War-I-handwrit...1QQcmdZViewItem

I was amazed at the price it has risen to and there are still a few days left so will be amused to see what it goes for. In my ignorance I expected it to be around £40, maybe £50 ... what an out of touch fool I was!

I am assuming this is the norm for such items but, as I do not collect anything other than information, I have not got the first clue of the value of such things!

Oh well :(

Steve - I would say that is a good price for such an item. Wartime diaries are not very common, and given the sort of man Poyntz was (I have actually done quite a lot of work on him myself, as he was a friend of Henry Williamson), then I suspect this will probably go for more than this. Is it worth alerting the Beds Records Office? I am sure they would like to have it?

There are often several people who are particularly keen on an item because of a fascination in its subject matter. I'm no expert on diaries of this type, but I'm not too surprised bidding has gone that high, even with a couple of days to go. I'm still working out why two people took the bidding to £122 for a postcard showing horses of the South Midland Division lined up on Ludgershall Station in 1910 - and it had several ink spots on it. Such cards in good condition normally go for £16-22. It's not as if the unit featured was that interesting, though no doubt the South Midland lads were a good bunch of lads.

Moonraker

Relieved to find that Poyntz went into hospital at the end of March 1918, and therefore not in command during April (which is the period I'm researching). It would be very difficult to see such a primary source appear and then disappear from sight.

At last its not just me then ...

Paul - Have PM'd you. I would be interested to learn anything shareable about him from a personal perspective by the way. Seems that the march battle finished him off and he went home sick (understandably).

Moonraker - £122 for a postcard? :huh: They know somethign we dont?!

Greenwoodman - yes, seems the 2nd Beds came out of the 1st week with under 100 men and hardly any officers yet still stood on the battle lines with the other 'Composites' in April. Luckily for us he was back in Blighty then. otehrwise you cannot help but think his luck woudl have run out, given what he went through in the war.

This is a very important document covering the fascinating events of March 1918. I am sure it is currently nowhere near it's eventual selling price. £50 ? - more like 10 times that.

There seem to be at least a couple of well-heeled folk collecting every regiment and this will be a plum item for these mini-Lord Ashcrofts.

£210 now - Im not suprised though - diarys always get good prices

This is the sort of card I referred to as being sold for £16-22 by dealers, and the one Norman shows above is rather more exciting than the £122 one I mentioned. After bidding for it was over, I discussed it with an authority on the Midland & South Western Junction Railway (whose line ran through Ludgershall, the station shown above and which was the M&SWJR's most prosperous, thanks to the army). He too was bemused, and had stopped bidding at £20.

Moonraker

Moonraker, I very much appreciate the additional info you have supplied about the postcard. I will add it to the description on FLICKR now. Many thanks.

Norman

I should think this diary will make 350/400 these are always very collectable and command a high price, it is a unique perspective of the war.

i note a scarce memorial book to a great war airmen made 300.00 the other day, i had never seen a copy of this book before in any dealers lists or in the flesh how many were printed possibly less than a dozen?

Collectors will always pay for unusual/ scarce items

regards John

And the final price was ...

(roll the drums)

Over £1,000!! :o:huh::rolleyes:

So, i was close with the £50 expectation then? Went to a US buyer from the looks of things. What can I say ...

A manuscript document, especially of such a period with a Lt Col's analysis of the Kaiser's Spring Offensive, sounds like a fair price.

Tried following the link again "This listing has been removed or is no longer available. "

interesting i do not believe this buyer has a record of great war interest and was on holiday at the time your were supposed to have placed the bid? maybe watch this space

regards john

sorry "they were supposed"

wow !!!

i reckon watch this space the listing was cancelled by e-bay

regards John

Hi Steve.

I am back!

I am really annoyed about this as the item was withdrawn due (I think) to the highest bid being placed from a hacked account. I believe I placed the highest genuine bid.

It has not been re listed.

:o Strewth John!! What a *&!!@# nuisance. Keep me advised of how it pans out wont you? Nice to see you back BTW, whether on a temp basis or more regularly!

Steve, Very sad you did not get the diary. If merit were cash it would be yours. Whoever wins it should at the very least copy it for you as I know you would do for them. Cheers, Bill

Seems odd that an item as specific and traceable would be the subject of an attempt to buy from a fraudulant account, theres something odd going on here. Online fraud isn't quite the same as walking into a museum and stealing a few VC's.

Mick

Bill - thank you :blush: !!

As for the rest of the subject, it seems to be twisting & turning like a soap opera. I will keep anyone interested posted in the coming days - with what i can at least. Seem to have learned much but it's not for me to say really!! Suffice to say the vendor is genuine one and a very decent person from what i have learned and I am not sure she is being well handled by ebay etc. It will all come clean in the end though ...

• 1 month later...

Glad to report, that after the best efforts of the Post Office to thwart me, it appears that I am the owner of this diary, although not delivered yet.

When I have had time to read and transcribe the contents properly I will decide how this information can be shared in the public domain.

This said, all my collection of Bedfordshire Regiment (and other) documents and photographs, will one day be passed to the Bedfordshire and Luton Archive and Record Office for the use of future generations.

seems a happy ending