Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Notts and Derby VC winners

john gregory

Regarding the Victoria Cross that 23715 Fred Greaves, 9th Battalion, Notts and Derby, won on the 4th October 1917. Steve Morse mention's on his website that he was the first soldier from Derbyshire to win the VC. I think that you will find 6016 Pte. Jacob Rivers, 1st Battalion, Notts and Derby won his VC on 12 March 1915. Jacob was born, bred and lived in Derby. 10082 Corp. James Upton was awarded his VC on 9th May 1915. 71130 Corp. Ernest Egerton awarded the VC on 20th September 1917. John

Oh no it doesn't :rolleyes: My webhost lost all of my pages not long ago. They reloaded it from backup but several pages dated back to 2004. I have now checked all of these pages to make sure they are up to date. If anyone does find other pages that do not make sense or dated pre 2004, please let Me know - thank you.

Fred's VC -

I think the problem arose from the Barlborough memorial. It states ' Corpl. Fred Greaves, Of the Sherwood Foresters was the 1st in Derbyshire to be awarded the Victoria Cross'

This led to Hazel Greaves believing it was true. Therefore a number of books have added this (not mine).

I recently checked on all Sherwood Forester VC winners and changed the website to reflect my findings.

It may be that he was the first New Army man to win the VC in Derbyshire and this got lost in translation!. OR

There was also an advertising campaign for a 'Fund' for the soldiers from Barlborough. One line possibly started the myth -' We feel that Derbyshire as a County is filled with admiration for their heroic VC'

Whatever the reason, the Barlborough memorial is wrong.

I hope that clarifies everything.

stevem