Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

captain j s phillips south staffs

Sue S

I have been doing some research on Captain John Sydney Phillips M.C. South Staffordshire Regiment and would be very grateful if anyone knows of any photographs of him and what happened to him after the war.

He was born in 1895 in Edgbaston Birmingham the son of Harry Phillip Phillips a bedstead and safe manufacturer of Birmingham and his wife Hannah. He attended King Edward V1 School 1907-1912 and was living at Berkswell Warks. at the time of the war. He initially enlisted in the Warwickshire Regiment but was commissioned into the Staffords. He may have followed the same trade as his father. His family were Jewish.

Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks. Sue

Sue

Have you seen his papers at Kew,under WO339/20039 ?

Sotonmate

• 2 years later...
I have been doing some research on Captain John Sydney Phillips M.C. South Staffordshire Regiment and would be very grateful if anyone knows of any photographs of him and what happened to him after the war.

He was born in 1895 in Edgbaston Birmingham the son of Harry Phillip Phillips a bedstead and safe manufacturer of Birmingham and his wife Hannah. He attended King Edward V1 School 1907-1912 and was living at Berkswell Warks. at the time of the war. He initially enlisted in the Warwickshire Regiment but was commissioned into the Staffords. He may have followed the same trade as his father. His family were Jewish.

Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks. Sue

Hello Sue,

I have the Phillips family from Edgbaston in my Tree and have further information on Harry Phillip Phillips, if you are still interested.

Janet

Hello Sue,

I have the Phillips family from Edgbaston in my Tree and have further information on Harry Phillip Phillips, if you are still interested.

Janet

Hi Janet. Yes I am still interested in John Sydney and any information you might have would be very gratefully received. Kind regards. Sue

Hi Janet. Yes I am still interested in John Sydney and any information you might have would be very gratefully received. Kind regards. Sue

Hello Sue,

Do you know any members of the Phillips family? My gt gt grandfather was George Phillips (son of Philip Henry Phillips) who came to Australia about 1855.

John Sydney PHILLIPS, single, aged 40, sailed from Southampton on board "Empress of Britain", arrived in Quebec, Canada on 15th August 1935.

John Sydney PHILLIPS; age 40; 5ft 7 1/2 inches tall; occupation, Entomologist; Father: Henry PHILLIPS of "Oak Mount" Westbourne Road, Birmingham.... arrived in Detroit 16th August, 1935, representing Britain.

~~~~~

John Sydney Phillips M.A.,

Research Fellow in Entomology

B.A., Univ. Oxford 1926;

M.A., Univ. Oxford 1930;

B.Sc., Univ. Oxford 1931

2162 Atherton Road. Ent.-Nem. Bldg.

John Sydney Phillips, Research Fellow, Graduate School of Tropical Agriculture

~~~~~

UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII, HONOLULU

Graduate courses in entomology were established in the Graduate School of Tropical Agriculture in 1933.

At commencement the same year, the first Doctor of Philosophy degree (Entomology) conferred by the University of Hawaii was presented to JOHN SYDNEY PHILLIPS whose program was under the direction of Dr Carter. His dissertation was entitled, "The Biology, Distribution and Control of Ants in Hawaiian Pineapple Fields". Dr Carter reported Phillips to be an extraordinary person since he wrote his final examination in rhyme. Upon completion of his doctorate he was employed by Lever Brothers, on a coconut plantation in the Solomon Islands. With the onset of World War II, he returned to England and taught for a period of time. He passed away in the late 1940's.

1933 John Sydney Phillips (B.S. The Biology, Distribution, and Control

1925; M.A. 1930; M.S. 1931 of Ants in Hawaiian Pineapple Fields

Oxford Univ.)

~~~~~

Janet

Hi Janet, I tried to send you a personal message but I think that you need to make a few more posts before you can receive them. I will try again in a few days but in the meantime thank you very much for the information which is all new to me. Kind Regards. Sue

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Janet, I would like to send you a P.M. Could you post just one more thread and then I should be able to contact you. Regards Sue

Hi Janet, I would like to send you a P.M. Could you post just one more thread and then I should be able to contact you. Regards Sue

Hello Sue,

Really looking forward to hearing what you have on the PHILLIPS family.

jmartin17@gmail.com

Regards

Janet