Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Bn MGC

GEMGIRL67

Hi Everyone!

Am researching a great Uncle who was involved in some heavy action on the 25th April 1918 with The MGC but attached to 9th Scottish Div could any body give me the Dispositions/info of this Div especially A Coy 9th Bn MGC, i aware that they supported 26 Highland Bde which was the left of the Div TAOR!

Alf

26 Bde (8 BW, 7 SH & 5 CH war diaries) reported heavy action that day, but there is no mention of the machine gunners. Best suggestion would be 9 MGC's war diary, which should be among the 9th Division war diaries. These should give you the dispositions of the sub-units. If not, 26 Bde's war diary may help.

26 Bde (8 BW, 7 SH & 5 CH war diaries) reported heavy action that day, but there is no mention of the machine gunners. Best suggestion would be 9 MGC's war diary, which should be among the 9th Division war diaries. These should give you the dispositions of the sub-units. If not, 26 Bde's war diary may help.

Thank you!

I have the MGC Diaries, but would be interested who were defending the Darmstrasse line, and what happened at Dome House, this would be great start for me as the Gun was Knocked out in the early hours of this attack but the darmstrasse line held out am led to believe!

Alf

5 CH took over outposts in the vicinity of Eikhof Farm and Damm Strasse on 24/04/18. They took a very heavy bombardment through the night, and took considerable casualties. Enemy advanced on right flank. HQ Coy forced to relocate to Bus House. Early morning enemy advanced and was repulsed. With some assistance from 7SH a defensive flank was formed on the right. Enemy tried again and failed, suffering heavy losses from rapid fire from the men. "The Machine Gun Corps rendered invaluable service". A pill box was rushed by the Germans on the Dammstrasse, captured and recovered. As the day wore on, posts in the front line were wiped out, and the Piccadilly Farm - The Mound line became the front line. Efforts were made to withdraw towards Voormezeele, but messages failed to get through. The line held until 2015, and then fell back to Bus House.

7 SH mention Damm strasse only in passing, and then to confirm that it was flattened and the Camerons withdrew to the Piccadilly Farm - The Mound line. 8BW doesn't mention it at all.

None of the three battalion war diaries mention Dome House at all.

5 CH took over outposts in the vicinity of Eikhof Farm and Damm Strasse on 24/04/18. They took a very heavy bombardment through the night, and took considerable casualties. Enemy advanced on right flank. HQ Coy forced to relocate to Bus House. Early morning enemy advanced and was repulsed. With some assistance from 7SH a defensive flank was formed on the right. Enemy tried again and failed, suffering heavy losses from rapid fire from the men. "The Machine Gun Corps rendered invaluable service". A pill box was rushed by the Germans on the Dammstrasse, captured and recovered. As the day wore on, posts in the front line were wiped out, and the Piccadilly Farm - The Mound line became the front line. Efforts were made to withdraw towards Voormezeele, but messages failed to get through. The line held until 2015, and then fell back to Bus House.

7 SH mention Damm strasse only in passing, and then to confirm that it was flattened and the Camerons withdrew to the Piccadilly Farm - The Mound line. 8BW doesn't mention it at all.

None of the three battalion war diaries mention Dome House at all.

Hi This is Alf!

Thanks for this information, you really have confirmed my my therories as it were! I am aware that, the Pill Box is in the reversed slope of the darmstrasse line (Already visited on the ground), Through the MGC diaries they were pushing the Germans to the right of Darmstrasse line and a Defence line was held near Vormezelee area! There was eavy action and Infantry were emplyed solely for belt filling at snipers barn (R/H side of piccadilly Farm) which crippled the advance!

Once Again thank you for your info

Alf